1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've come to realize (ampeg / 15" speaker content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blendermassacre, Oct 23, 2009.

1. That you guys who talk about 15's not being that great (as in efficient, and well designed) are right. After a few weeks of messing with my rig (ampeg svt12he and svt15e, peavey t-max) I just can't get any sort of punch. I've got all the balls and woof and dirt I could ever stand, but I have a feeling that I'm about to get lost in the mix when I play with other folks.

So...I'm hoping to get $500-600 out of the two of those cabs. Should I go for 10's or 12's? I don't slap, or pop, and I love vintage tone. I was thinking either GK 212 neo, avatar 212 neo, Ampeg 610hlf, avatar 410 neo.

Are 12's the compromise between the super punch 10's and the flop of 15's? I can try out some stuff being that musician's friend outlet is here in KC, but obviously not avatar.

Thanks In advance for the help.

2. I added a 210 to get a bit more punch. I still consider the SVT15E to be the main cab though, as that's where the main tone seems to come from, the 210 just making it more hard hiting.

3. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    All 15" cabs are not alike.

I take each cab for what it sounds like and don't pay overmuch attention to the speaker size.

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    +1

5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    +2

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I used to agree with the OP until I got a B-15. Now I'm with the others...each cab needs to be taken on its own merits or lack of.

7. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I have a couple of old metal badge Ampeg 115's, they have the old alnico magnet altec 15's, they are a lot more upper mid forward than even my eden 8 x 10 cab and punch and chime very well indeed.
    The other ones that are well punchy are the original old CTS square magnet 15 and the JBL 140's of course in the right cab.
    It seems to me that 15" loudspeakers have got progressively darker the higher the handling power they claim. Probably down to an increase in
    reciprocating mass, due to a lot fatter copper wire in the voice coil.
    :bassist:

8. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    My old Mesa Boogie 1x15 with an EV in it actually makes my new GK 210RBH sound scooped.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    BTW, if you have an Ampeg 15 cab or silimar and you think it's too dark, the Eminence Delta 15a is a nice speaker you could throw in for not much money that's pretty bright for a high power 15". Won't sound like a JBL but it'll do a legit 4k.

10. Keep in mind that I was speaking of the 15 that I have as reference, not every 15" bass cab ever made. I have read a lot on here from the speaker efficiency gurus about how you can achieve the same results and even better results with 12's and 10's(which is why avatar stopped making 15" cabs,IIRC). I do realize that there are some well designed 15" cabs, however the one I have is just barely above mud. Any help pointing me in a different direction is appreciated.

11. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    This is the statement that is rubbing folks the wrong way. There are a great many players who use and love their 15"s - I'm one of them - that will dispute it and rightly so. You have the wrong cab for you, period.

It aint the size of the driver that's the problem. It's a combination of factors.

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    One hardly knows where to start. I know this though: it may not be near my tonal ideal always, but I can make a decent 15s-only cab fit in a band mix in most genres just fine. The blanket statements about driver sizes show that there's evidently either some bad 15 enclosures out there, or people don't know how to EQ and have problems learning how to listen on stage.

As far as Avatar's 15, it was an under-performer with a poor first-gen neo driver. The same box with a 3015 in it instead is considerably nicer.

13. Rubbing people the wrong way was the last of my intentions. I've read and learned so much here from engineers who talk about 3' above my head about speaker efficiency, cab design and the like, and really didn't want it to be true, but I've found, in this case, for me, it is.

If you a)have found the 15" that is well designed or b) found the 15" that works for you, I mean no offense.

However, if you're not happy with you're 15", you're not alone.

14. I've been messing with eq (flat, scooped mid, boosted highs and mids) to no avail.

This really got uglier than I intended it to.

15. scarekrow

scarekrow

Jan 27, 2007
    Gurus? Uh, opinions is more like it.
    You don't slap & love vintage tone... seems like you might consider some dual 15 cabs. Sunn or JBL are truly vintage - so am I & used them quite a bit back when vintage 'wasn't'. Power it up with a few hundred watts and push it. Then leave it up to the sound man.
    My sarcastically infused guru opinion. Good luck finding your perfect tone inspiration and making it last. Bass is an incredibly awesome instrument.

16. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Driver size isn't important by itself.

I'm a huge fan of the 4x10 because it's a lot of volume and headroom in a small box. I suggest just trying out a decent/nice 4x10 by itself and see if you aren't happier.

17. Charles Fields

Charles Fields

Mar 30, 2009
    HI if you don't like it loose it, i think what you might be looking for is a 2-12 cab the GK is sweet and light.

18. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    There's just as many who don't find that any 10-based enclosures they've tried don't meet their needs, or 12-based ones.

As far as the bit about "speaker gurus" I can't see how you got that idea... I'd say you aren't interpreting statements by others accurately, out of a lack of experience or deeper knowledge - or you don't know a speaker guru from a person who buys lots of cabs, or has a bias based on gawd knows what.

Why? Because "speaker gurus" are quite aware that frame diameter is of relatively small consequence compared to driver parameters and design, and enclosure design in turn has a big influence on that. Hang on any number of deep forums about enclosure design in either home or SR circles and you'll quickly see that there are few size bigots around - performance attributes are all that matters, and can be foud in many shapes and sizes.

But perhaps all this doesn't directly address your concerns. I'm of the opinion that you should buy something else if a little EQ experimentation and gain structuring doesn't get you happy ; }

19. Thanks for the info and help. I'm fairly new at this and sometimes my absorption of info gets skewed (apparently).

P.s. nothing like making a fairly blanketed and incorrect post to make you feel like a jackass. However, learning is my goal, so better it this way than to go on being wrong.

20. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    No sweat. Just find something that wrings your chimes! : }

...Odd thing I've noticed about bass players and guitarists, is that over time many seem to spiral back to gear they grew disenchanted with or bored with, and tonal ideas shift, and perceptions often change. I've seen guys spend gazillions of dollars just to end up playing what they had early on ; } ...So take it all with a grain of salt and enjoy the ride!