I've come to the conclusion that bass overdrives, distortions and fuzz suck!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by de la mocha, Jan 4, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    I must have tried all of them, boss, Digitech, a few floor processors, a lot of different brands over the last few months. Their is NO bass distortion,fuzz, or overdrive that I found that sounded decent to me.

My biggest complaint is they hiss when you activate it. They sound to computerized in the higher notes, and finally, if you adjust them so that the lower notes aren't overly distorted, the higher notes won't even be effected!

I just quit. I'll leave the distortion to the guitars. I'm just looking for a light hint of distortion equal around the entire fret board with out it sounding computerized. And I want the low notes to sound like my bass is not farting. Grrrrr!!!!!! :scowl:
  2. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    You definitely haven't tried them all. There is also very nice distortion to be had from overdriven tube amps and pricey distortion units with real tubes in them.

I take it you tried the Digitech Bass Driver? It may be pretty cheap but I actually like that one a lot, very fat sounds can be had by dialing in enough dry signal.
    If used right, distortion and overdrive on bass can sound really killer.
  3. threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    have you tried boosting the drive / gain on your amp?
    You can often get a light distortion that way as well.
  4. i'd say you need to discover TUBES......
  5. Or buy an ampeg and red line it ;)
  6. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'd say you need to try some effects worth more than $50
  7. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    EHX English Muff'n. Quiet even when on. Great breakup. The JJs I put in it sound awesome too...

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    A big +1. If the only names you mention are Digitech and Boss, then you haven't even scratched the surface of bass overdrive/distortion. Maybe you've tried all of the cheap ones at Guitar Center, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Have you even tried a real tube overdrive, and not just digital junk?
  9. Fulltone Bass Drive
    Budda Phatbass

I was in the same boat with you untill i tried this setup. each one is different but great in its own way.
  10. uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    First step on the road to get the best overdrive/distortion/fuzz is to build moosapotamus' paralooper ! And that cannot be questioned ;)
  11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you've only tried digitech and boss pedals, it's no wonder you've been disappointed. Not saying all digitech and boss pedals are bad, cos they're not, but you generally get what you pay for.
  12. Hao Rust Ride

Plus it's got true bypass!
  13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Big Muff, Digitech Bass Driver, Tech21 American Woman. All these are below $100 and they all work. Sometimes, if the rest of the rig is not up to snuff then it will sound bad. Some of my units sound like ass through my Behringer combo.
  14. :D
  15. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I think the statement that all bass overdrives, distortions and fuzz suck tells me that you have a specific sound you are hearing in your head and you have yet to find it.
    You need to keep looking and spend as much money as you can until you find that sound. ;)
    Seriously man don't give up on distortion. I'm not entirely happy with my distortion sound but I am not done trying.
  16. marshall guvnor, homebrew electronics big d, a cranked ehx black finger, russian ehx big muff...i actually dont like any overdrive/dist/fuzz pedal specifically designed for bass that ive tried (except the modded copy i built of a maestro brassmaster)...i always have a clean amp running to save my low end...i AM excited for the homebrew electronics hematoma which looks to be excellent - the big d is the only overdrive i own which i would run w/o any type of clean blend (lots of bass in that pedal)...keep trying different brands of pedals and definitely give a go cranking ur preamp...the sound ur aiming for IS out there, u jsut have to find it...it might be in a vintage pedal, or a boutique hand made one, or an ampeg preamp, but its there...dont give up on it
  17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I can get some really nice overdrive out of my 400+, and I like to use my GT-6B to get a completely distorted mess for metal.
  18. EBS Multidrive gets a vote from me.
  19. lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    EBS MulitDrive on my pedalboard last week. It is definitely not teh suck.
  20. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    I haven't given up on distortions, od's or fuzzes, yet. First I gotta get my amp together (via SansAmp, I hope). Then I'm gonna try out the amp and every high and low end pedal I can to try to find a dist, od, or fuzz that de-smoothes my low-end causing people to think that there's an earthquake happening.....

well, maybe I exagerate a little :D but you get the idea.

For now I just play clean. when I want to get a distorted sound I crank the bass knob on my practice amp (a 15W'er :oops: ). That alone kills the headroom of the amp and caused the speaker to over-extend a little and gets close enough to what I want for now :D

PS. Just realized how mean I am to that little amp :scowl: