Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've decided on the bass im going to buy...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mumbojumbo4, Sep 21, 2004.

1. mumbojumbo4

mumbojumbo4

Feb 11, 2004
    Illinois
    It is going to be the Marcus Miller Signature Series Jazz Bass.
    Its awesome, it is the best. Thats all im going to say. The best.

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I wouldnt say the BEST, but it is a hell of an instrument. I love mine.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I just played a few recently. I loved them, and once I get some money together, I will definitely be picking one up for myself.

4. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Marcus Miller Jazz is a great Bass, I would definatley like one of these in my equipment arsenal.

5. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Hate to be a dissenter, but I've tried 3 or 4 of them now, and none of them have done anything for me at all. On the other hand, I've really dug every Geddy Lee bass that I've tried.

But hey, that's me, and if it works for you, great.

6. I own one and love it. However, I thought the stock preamp was the weak link, so I switched the preamp to a U-Retro with a passive tone control. I can't be happier now. My Marcus Miller Jazz is my least expensive bass, but its sound measures up well to my more expensive instruments.

7. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Actually, it was the preamp and pickups that turned me off as well. I didn't like the neck shape, either, but that's more of a personal issue - I can imagine some people would love it. But the preamp seemed to really let the bass down.

8. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I love my 5 string Marcus Miller. But really want a Sadowsky.

9. mumbojumbo4

mumbojumbo4

Feb 11, 2004
    Illinois

10. mumbojumbo4

mumbojumbo4

Feb 11, 2004
    Illinois

11. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Like I said, I wasn't into the neck (which, again, is a personal choice), but I really felt the preamp and pickups let the bass down.

As for it being the best you've ever played, all I can say is, don't worry about what other people think, just buy it!! :)

12. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan

Same pickups as the Geddy Lee though, arent they? Maybe you just didnt feel the pre-amp. Try throwing it in passive mode.

13. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Great choice. I'm absolutely in love with that bass. I have a MIM Fender Jazz I'm about to fix up to give it the feel of a Marcus Miller, with a BA II bridge and chrome pickup cover.

14. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Not to overly change the flow of this thread, but a few people here seem to be upset about the Marcus Miller's preamp. Apparently, there's this guy who has posted in the gear review section of harmony-central.com about mods he performed on a Marcus Miller preamp to give it a "more Marcus-like sound". For those who are interested, here's the link:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Fender/Marcus-Miller-Jazz-Bass-01.html

So my question is, has anyone here tried this? Any thoughts would be appreciated... I must admit, I'm a bit intrigued by this guy's suggestions.

15. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I dunno if they're the same pickups, actually, although it wouldn't surprise me. And yeah, I've tried it in passive mode, of course, but I still couldn't find much in there that I liked.

Thing is, I've also tried the 5 string version, and thought it was a great bass!! In fact, I think it's about the best 5 string Fender have made!! Go figure!! :rolleyes:

16. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Forgive my ignorance and I also may have previously missed this, but doesn't the 5-string version come with a Sadowsky pre-amp? Also isn't there about a $800-$1000 difference in price?

17. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I don't know if it's an actual Sadowsky preamp (I doubt it, actually), but yes, there is a bug difference in price.

I never said there wasn't!! ;)

18. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

I checked the Fender site, and it looks like you're correct - same pickups.

However, the Geddy's body is alder, while the Miller is Ash. Maybe that's got something to do with it.

19. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I got a HW1 Jazz bass, and I am loving this thing...nice low action...light body..amazing Tone. Basicly the classic Jazz tone, I like it better then the Marcus Miller. Of course I played active basses for years, and am just sick of them. I am back to passive..and I would rather have an American Highway 1 jazz bass then a Marcus at this point. If you like Marcus's tone, you will get it for half the price.

20. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I liked the look, but not the sound or the weight. That one was a case of my eyes saying yes and the rest of me saying no.