Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've decided to go Rack!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zacl, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Hey everyone,

First I'd like to thank everyone who answered my questions about Multi-effects, even if it was to discourage me.

I've come to the conclusion that I might as well do it right and go get a rack. I figure that, even though it's more money, it's also more worth it in the long run.

So, as of now, I have single effect pedals:
    Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler
    Boss TU-2 Tuner
    Boss SYB-3 Bass Synth
    DOD FX92 Bass "Grunge" (Distorsion)
    Ibanez BC10 Bass Chorus
    Dunlop GCB-100 Bass Wah

I'm going to sell these, and use the money for the rack. I'm not going to try and find a rack effect with the Bass synth, or the wah. I really don't think I will use them enough....

NOTE: I do have a bit of a buget, so I will be going for USED effects, so anything brand new is most likely out of the question.

I know what I want, but the only problem I see is with the distorsion.

My question is is there any rack effects that have distorsion in them?

I know SWR has the IOD, but unless someone is selling it for dirt cheap I can't afford it. So are there any others?

So any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Remember I'm look for rack effects, not anything on the floor.

Thanks.

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    doesn't sansamp make a rack preamp that distorts? i know ampeg makes 2, but they'll cost around the same as the IOD... sansamp might be worth looking into though...

3. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    GK has a new preamp with a distortion channel. I doubt that it's much cheaper than the IOD, though.

4. why don't you just keep your dist. pedal and sell everything else...if that dist makes you happy...keep it!!..from my exp. dist. in multi-fx units(rack or floor) usally don't cut it.the "stand alone" disto.units are usally better. unless you get one of the rack pre-amps mentioned above,but then you still need to get the fx unit for the other fx..so I would try units that have good "fx" and keep the disto.pedal...and if the paticular rack unit you buy has a good dist.,you'll have 2....you'll be able to set them up differently....hope this helps....later!!!

5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Why do you think this?

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't think you should put yourself through all that! There are a couple of rack units that have distortion, such as the SansAmp PSA-1. You'll spend more on a used one than you would on 2 new top-notch pedals, like the EBS Multi-Drive, which is an incredible distortion pedal!

If you really want to convert to a rack system, wait until you can afford to do it properly.