Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ive decided

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by mcnaire2004, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As some of you know I posted asking for suggestions on a good concerto for me to perform at the CYS concerto competition and Ive decided. But, before I anounce who it is I have good news... I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to Geico. LOL JK.
    I just recieved the Dragonetti today. I spent 5 1/2 hours on the first page today. I did better than I thought I would as far as switching between bass and treble cleffs. Right now i'm playing it around 90 BPMs. By the 27th I should be playing it (with 7hours of practice a day and 12-15 on days with no school) around 115-125 BMs. I am playing this for a scholorship audition on the 27th. This isn't for college just to go to a college music camp in the summer (2000-5000$ worth). So I'll have it down by then. And I am anouncing what i'm playing for the concerto competition this fall. The Concerto is...... CONCERTO DI BRAVURA by Bottesini.
    Any suggestions on things to look out for in the Dragonetti?

2. Are you sure this doesn't belong under bass humor?

Seriously, your plan is absolutely ridiculous. You can't learn any major piece in twelve days. And 15 hours of practice in one day? I'm sorry, but that's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Aren't you the same guy who said his teacher didn't even know any concertos?

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I hear mixing four leaf clovers into your rosin can get a nicer, airier tone...

4. Im only playing the first movment for the audition. It's not that bad.

5. Cambass123

Cambass123 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Indiana
    wow......I really should just leave this alone but I honestly can't.

Look Kid, There is a lot about playing this instrument that you don't know. Playing a hard piece note for note is not going to be enough for you to win a competition. What IS going to win this competition is musicianship. Its not enough to play the notes. Yon NEED to know why the notes are being played. Personally I think you are F*cking Looney Toons for even attempting Bottesini's Concerto Di Bravura.....you obviously don't understand how much technique is involved in playing that piece well. If you expect to win anything by stumbling through Bottesini you are in for a rude awakening.

Another thing, I'm really tired of you blowing off alot of very good information. You must not realize that you are getting this information from people who are living the life you claim you want on a daily basis. Do us all a favor, pull your head out of your a$$ and realize you are not the "bees knees" and you have a ton of work ahead of you. Playing this instrument well is not a walk in the park. Hell playing this instrument poorly is not a walk in the park.

I do not mean to be a total prick with this post but you really need a reality check. If you really want to do this you need to swallow your pride and take other people's advice seriously. You have great determination and that is an honorable thing. What you are lacking is rationality.

One final thing, I have some words of advice for you: "Take Baby Steps"......you need to take baby steps toward mastering this instrument. If you jump into this like a fat kid into a candy store you are going to burn yourself out.

6. The Bottesini isn't going to be played by me untill the end of this year. And it'll also be used as part of my college audition next year. Right now i'm working on the dragonetti. Only the first movment though. The second movment is a killer and i'm taking that part slow. In this thread I was just stating that i'm working on the Dragonetti and i'm open to advice. I was also letting every one know what I was playing for the concerto competition at the end of the year (I had a thread about it a few weeks ago).

7. Cambass123

Dec 22, 2005
    Indiana
    I understand you are "wishfully thinking" you are going to be able to play the bottesini for a competition in the fall but the truth of the matter is it is probably not going to happen the way you are hoping. I know MASTER'S students at the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, where I go to school, that would be hard pressed to have that piece ready by the Fall. It is a bitch of a piece to play man. Just don't get in over your head. I personally think a more reasonable piece to have ready for the competition in the fall would be Koussevitzky, although if you think the second movement of Dragonetti is a bitch then Koussevitzky will seem next to impossible. Also, how can you think Dragonetti mvt. 2 is a bitch yet you don't think that about Concerto di Bravura?.....

8. Well, I was saying that the dragonetti's second movment will take at least a bit (1-3months) longer to learn. My teacher is more jazz oriented but he has tought a few bassist one of Bottesini's concerto's. He thinks I can learn it (first movment) by the concerto competition or more inportantly the (several) college auditions. I've seen the Koussevitzky (don't have it though) and it is tough. If I did that it would tak me several months (like 5 atleast) to be able to play it. (notice I say 'play it' and not 'master it'). The part of the second movment that is realy tough is the string of sextuplets in the Cadenza. The fingerings arn't bad but I can't get it up to speed to hit every not clearly. Right now all I can do is "cheat" on that part and skip a few notes. Lucky me i'm only playing the first movment of the Dragonetti.

9. O, and I'm not touching the Concerto di Bravura for a month. And i'm going to take that super slow. I have about a year to get it ready for college. Thanks for your opinion though.

10. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    This just keeps getting better and better.

11. I think you need to post a recording of yourself on here. You've got to be either the worst or best bassist in the world.

12. If I had the means to I would. I don't even have a printer. Anything I need printed I e-mail to my self so I can get it at school. It's not that i'm such a great bassist it's just that I catch on really fast. I guess that's how tennessee bassist's are. (<joke).

13. Cambass123

Dec 22, 2005
    Indiana
    digging a hole man.....digging a hole....

14. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    ...where the rain gets in.

Sorry, couldn't help it. :D :D :D

15. Cambass123

Dec 22, 2005
    Indiana
    fine work my friend.....damn fine work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.