Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've fallen in love.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jiant., Aug 22, 2005.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    So on my last night home before college, the 19th, I went to see Haste the Day at a venue near my house. They set up their stuff, and I was looking at all the gear they were using. I noticed the bass player was using a GK, either the 1001 or the 2001, through an Ampeg 8x10. I didn't recognize the bass he was using, but it had 2 humbuckers. It wasn't a Bongo, it looked more along the lines of an ESP or somthing. Anyway, the tone was amazing!! I had always wanted to hear or try a GK, and man, it was sweet. I'm thinking about getting one, but that would of course mean getting rid of my Eden. I'm hoping to find one around close to try, but I haven't checked out the music stores where I'm living now. Anyway, any thoughts on this amp, experience with it? Thanks. -Brad

2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    You may have liked the Ampeg more than the GK. The GK gear certainly adds its own sound, but I wouldn't be too quick to associate the tone you heard with the amp the player was using. Given the relative sterility of GK amps, I'd say you were hearing more of his technique and 8x10 than amp.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    . . . or the PA, if they were using full PA support. I can't count how many times I hear people comment on the bass tone at a large concert and say that the bassplayer's amp sounded so good . . . when in fact they never even heard his amp but rather the PA, probably the bass direct to a DI.

Heck, when I play bars and clubs on the weekend, nobody in the audience hears my rig since I go through the PA, and I even have other musicians commenting on how good my Aguilar speakers sound. :eyebrow:

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

And let's not forget the pickups in the bass which GREATLY effect the tone too! You many actually love the sound of his bass more so than the amp and cab. I've never played an Eden, but I thought that I've read here that Eden and GK tone is in the same ball park. True?

5. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Well they did use a DI on the bass, but this was before they had it going through the PA. I have an Ampeg SVT 410-HLF, and it's ported, but shouldn't it sound along the same lines of the 8x10? I really like the tone of my Eden, but I didn't think it sounded as great as the GK. In any case, I'm hoping to try one out soon.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'd be willing to bet some money on the instrument being the big part of that tone. I've seen a couple bass players in Hardcore bands play with dual humbucking basses.... most of them are Ibanez.... and I'm assuming that's what Haste the Day would use. However, it may have been a G&L bass... which I've had the priveledge of playing, and IMO, completely blows Ibanez out of the water.

If it IS in fact the rig that you're so impressed with... then it would be any combination of things. Go ahead and give the GK heads a try... but dont get too carried away... because it could have easily been the sealed 8x10 or the HH bass you were impressed with. As good as GK is.... More people tend to go from GK to Eden, than Eden to GK.

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I fell in love too, and it was definately with the GK 700RBII head!

...And it DOESN'T sound sterile, especially when you use the boost control for some of that great GK growl!

Can't go wrong with GK, Man.

Joe

8. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Well, I know it wasn't a G&L, but yes, those are awesome. If I can find a GK near me, I'll probably bring my cab and bass to try it with, and see how I like it.

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    The grass is always greener...

-Ray

10. Don't take too much stock in these comments Jiant. chances are only a couple of these guys have actually played through a new GK amp in the last year. And you would be shocked to hear what people have dumped in order to switch to GK. If I remember correctly, I believe the bassist from Haste The Day dumped an SVT II for his GK head. Give it a try. A/B it with your Eden. If you like it cool. If not, that's cool too.

11. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Yeah, I know that he used to run through some Ampeg before this, maybe if I pick one of those up, it's just an excuse for me to get a G&L or somthing. Since you posted here, Daniel, is there any difference in the pre sections of the 1001 RBII and the 2001? Or is it just a difference in power? Thanks. -Brad

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Every GK amp I have played through sounded great. Even the thrashed ones at GC. Perhaps I will buy one some day, when I get tired of my iAMP.

-Mike

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    The GKs I've tried have been OK. I never gave one much of a whirl though, as I'm pretty set on my amplification (Peavey T-max and Classic 400).

-Ray

14. maxxx

maxxx

Feb 9, 2005
    Somewhat OT, but it might help with something...

This site can be kinda handy for trying to figure out what gear hardcore/metal influenced bands use. The bass is definitely an Ibanez in those pictures. But the rack on the floor looks like (in order from top to bottom) a power conditioner, tuner, and this this is kinda iffy, possibly free space and a wireless.. Then definitely a GK amp, and maybe a rack shelf.

http://returntothepit.com/amimetalornot.php?id=167760 this picture he's using wireless.
    http://returntothepit.com/amimetalornot.php?id=162499 this picture he isnt using wireless.

15. +1.... I see this 'mistake' over and over again on this site... the bass sound on most recordings and for live performances in even moderate sized venues have very little, if anything to do with the particular backline rig used.

16. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    He was running it with a wireless when I saw them.

17. It's all in the fingers I tell you. :D :D

18. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    GK's can definately growl. My first experience with one was a 1001-RB through an Ampeg 610hlf. However, it wasnt what I was looking for.... and this was before I knew how tube amps truly sounded. It turned out, tube power is what I was looking for personally.

At the same time... I also have tastes in other types of music where I REALLY want a sterile type of sound. GK's can also do that. I personally prefer the hi-fi tone of SWR.... but for financial reasons, I plan on definately purchasing a GK head and using it in a 311-style band.

I have less experience with Eden, but I've played one through a 410XLT for about 30 minutes... and it felt like a friggon priveledge. I cant be 100% sure if it was the head or the cab that blew me away... but it made me think twice about my favorite "hybrid" SS head... which was, at the time, the SVT 3Pro.

All in all.... your decision will likely need to be made out of your specific tastes. Your currently deciding between Eden and GK... both of which are dependable and quality brands. Therefore... the rest simply lies in your ears. :smug:

19. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    Im pretty sure haste the day does play ibanez basses