1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've finally decided on a Hartke HA3500 head - some help with cabs please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sk8, Jun 6, 2007.

1. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    After much soul searching and pondering i've decided to go for a head and cabs over say a 300 watt combo as in the long run the head is the better option i feel and will give me greater options over the H&K Quantum and Bass Kick series combos i was considering as i feel that i will be limited with a combo and i have one shot to get a semi decent rig before all my money is vacuumed up by my newly arived baby daughter :p

So i've decide on the HA3500 over the MAG300 - good choice?

Now to cabs

Originaly i was going to pair it up with a Hartke 410 and 115 from the Transporter series but i'm seeing mixed reviews for these. I then considered a 210 and 115 from the Hartke XL range to keep to the budget; is there a big difference between the 210 and the 2.5 apart from the price? The other thought i've had is to go for Ashdown mag cabs which i like - would these work with the head or would they be better paired with the mag head.

Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks in advance :bassist:

2. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    The 2.5XL is designed to go deeper and higher in tone then the 210xl. The additional 5" will provide more highs end zing. I have 2.5XL cab and use it for practice and small gigs. It will pair up well with the 115XL which I add for larger venues. Overall two very good cabs. If you get a 4.5XL you will have what I think is Hartke`s best cab.

3. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    thanks for the reply

Can't really afford a 4.5 but might be able to stretch to a 2.5 and a 115

I think it will come down to the Xl and Ashdown cabs

4. the 4.5 is a heavy beast too - 125lbs abouts!!!

5. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    I should probably keep an eye on this thread: I just bought the hartke 3500 amp that's for sale in the classifieds, but don't have a cab yet.

6. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Thats a big bugger!

Won't be going for the 8x10 then :D

7. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    if i go with the ashdowns i can get 410 and 115

If i go for the xl's i can stretch to a 2.5 and a 115

8. What sort of venues will you be playing in?
    I ask because you might not need two cabs if you're only playing small-medium venues.

I've got an Ashdown MAG210T cab paired with a Behringer BX4500H (which I plan on replacing at some stage with the Ashdown MAG) and so far, it's all I've needed.
    It's light and portable and if I need more volume I can add another cab at some stage.

Going for just one cab might be a good option now, which you can always add to later (funds permitting).

9. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    I've played with a HA3500 + 410XL +115XL for many years and chose it over a lot of more expensive rigs (not because of the price) . I was playing funky electric blues. That rig had tons of fat punch and presence (but kinda tame without the 115) and speakers are quick. Aluminum cone drivers do sound different so it's a matter of taste. I still miss that rig (lost it in a fire at a drummer's house). I recently went over to a Markbass sa450 but still use a hartke 410 xl. I like the sound and this cab sounds better alone when paired with the more powerful amp. Only drawback is the weight:(

10. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    thanks for the replies

i don't think funds will be available later! Thats why i want to get the 115.

I don't have any particular size venues - just a church at the mo so i'm sure the 4x01 or 2x10 would be ample but i wanted to sort of future proof myself ish

Whats the difference between the XL and Transporter series?

The reason i went for the Hartke head is i like the idea of having the graphic as i had one on my previous half stack many years ago and the MAG doesn't have one only a 5 band

11. You might want to consider the Hartke pro 2200 2x12 cab with the horn. It really sounds good and isn't too heavy.

12. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I can get a good deal on a 3500 and 410 transporter cab which i think i might go for as it would leave a couple of hundred to get a guitar combo too :D

13. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    The transporter has a differant enclosure and differant speakers. They look the same but they are not. Transporter is entry level equipment that is cheap and sounds it. With no gigs a 2.5XL is a good start to putting together a versatile rig that will last. The 2.5 and 4.5 have a differant design cab then the rest of the XL series. They are wider in width and can handle the lower register better. Simply put they got more beef. And as I stated before, it does pair up well with the 115XL. The 115XL is almost a subwoofer. To me not very good as a stand alone cab. Its mostly bass and lower mids, the high mid and highs are not very present. But sure adds alot of booty to other cabs you might want to pair it up with. You should be able to find either of these cabs for under $200 used. GOOD LUCK

14. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i did wonder about the longevity of the TP series.

The XL's would be a good investment then. Maybe i can stretch to a 2.5 and 115 and the guitar combo will have to wait or go for my other option of the Ashdowns :bassist: :p

15. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    anyone compared the Transporter series to the Ashdown MAG series?

16. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    This is precisely the rig I run and it has proved to be reliable, clear sounding, and easy to move about. It even handles my five-stringer with no problems whatsoever! I find the twelves to be a good way to get the well-known Hartke 'attack' without sounding quite as brittle as the 4x10 cabs.

Here is a pic:

minirigofdoom.gif

17. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i take it the twelves are a good compromise over a 210 and 115?

18. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I don't know whther to buy a really good 4x10 ie 4.5XL or a cheaper 2x10 and 1x15 like the Ashdowm MAG Series

19. I've been more than happy with my MAG210T, and highly recommended it for the price.

Personally, I would get the two seperate cabs. The 210 is light, easy to transport and if I have to take it to a mate's place to jam or to a gig it's incredibly easy. The benefit of the 210/115 combo would be the fact that you can use both if the venue warrants it, or just one instead of having to lug a heavy 410 around, regardless of the situation.

Ultimately, check the cabs out in person if you can and see which one(s) you like the sound of best.

20. I've tried the HA3500A with a TP410, and it sounded very nice. Very rich and full tone.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021