Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'VE FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT! (Schism Related)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Petary791, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So you guys know that song called Schism by Tool? Well I think my dad and I figured out the time signature!

At the end when Maynard's like, "I know the pieces fit", i'm pretty sure it's in one measure of 5/4 then one measure of 7/8 and it continues to alternate?

Your guys' thoughts?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The main bass riff at the beginning is in 3/4, and later in the track (when he's using a whammy) he plays in 12/8, with a turnaround in 3/8. There's probably some other time sigs going on in that song.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Definitely some crazy time sigs in that song.

4. amused2KAOS

amused2KAOS

Apr 22, 2005
    theres something kind of funny that happened when my friend was trying to jam with that song with the drummer of our band while rehearsing. he was playing the beginning riff on the guitar and the drummer didnt do anything for about 5 seconds and then got up and said "i dont know what the hell your doing". this thread just reminded me of it.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ha that sounds like when we were trying to jam the song "Eleven" by Primus that's in 11/8. My drummer is just like, "Umm... that's ****ed up man."

6. Twelve

Twelve

May 28, 2005
    Woot. Those sigs are simple.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I hope you're being facetious! :oops:

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    3/4 is a pretty common time sig- it's the sound of a lot of waltzs- it's probably the most natural-feeling time signature after 4/4. The riff Chancellor plays to fit into the time sig is why it sounds complicated.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah I know 3/4 is pretty common, it just didn't come off to me as 3/4.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I understand- I'm terrible at figuring out time signatures by listening to them-when I hear the opening riff, I my first though is always that it's in 7/4.

11. Twelve

Twelve

May 28, 2005

Hell no. Do you really find Schism to be that complicated?

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

timidbassist, what he posted was not against the rules. However, your post violated several rules.

Enjoy your vacation.:rolleyes:

13. embellisher

It is not that difficult, for somebody with some experience, formal training, and/or knowledge of theory.

But for a self taught beginner, it is pretty difficult.

As I said, you did not violate any rules with your post, but it did come across as arrogant.

Try to be a little more considerate of members who are not as advanced technically or musically as yourself.

14. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Those tims sigs *are* simple!

In my band, the Speedfunkers, we play Nu-Retro Speedjazz-post-funk fusion :D. One one song, we play septuplets and pentuplets over an alternating 5\8 beat over a 13\8 rhythm. Seriously, synchopation is god.

Cheers!
    -Erlend

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have a hunch that if God was putting a CD in his player right now, he'd pick a James Brown one over a Spiral Architect one. ;)

16. embellisher

:D

17. Twelve

Twelve

May 28, 2005
    Are you sure you didn't mean to post that in the other thread? I don't see timidbassist in here.

Try to be a little more considerate of members who are not

You don't have to have formal training or knowledge of music theory to play Schism, or to write something with "complicated" timing. You just need ears and fingers. :bassist:

18. embellisher

The mod of this forum deleted his post, so you can't see it.

I have a copy of it saved.

19. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    It sounds a lot more complicated because they aren't playing on any of the beats you would expect in a 3/4.

Subdividing it makes the most sense to count it as

1 & 2 & & 1 & 2 & 3 & &

at least in my mind.

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Not bad - but something to ask yourself: why do you think the first is 5/4 and the second is 7/8? In other words, why are they both not /4 or /8?

If you count along, you can count "ONE two THREE four five ONE two THREE four FIVE six seven" right? Notice that you're counting both bars at the same speed. That means that if the first bar is 5/4, then the second must be 7/4, not 7/8. Though, I'd say they are actually 5/8 and 7/8.