Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've finally made it - I've got a ROADIE!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Petebass, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My new gig is so incredibly aswome, I have to share! Not only do they pay a rather generous rate per gig, and not only do they have plenty of gigs, but they also have a roadie. I feel like a rock star in a way. I turn up to the gig and my rig is set up and ready to go. Bass is in tune, soundcheck is completed, everything! Similarly, at the end of the gig, all I have to do is put my bass in it's stand and walk away. Someone else packs it all up and carries it to the van where it will stay until the next gig. It's too easy!

But wait, there's more. We did a road trip for a gig in big country town. The next day, we all sat down to breakfast and before we knew what was happening, owner of the band had sneaked away and paid for everyones meals. I of course tried to pay him for my share but he wouldn't take my money. That's what I call looking after your people!

But wait, there's more. A few hours later I arrived home and got a phone call from the band owners. They've decided to offer musicians earplugs for everyone in the band at their expense. There's 6 in the band and those things aren't cheap. I had a set made up a few years ago and they were AUS$180 back then, probably more now.

I've only been doing the gig for a few weeks and I'm already planning to stay with this band for the rest of my gigging days. The previous bass player stayed with the band for 12 years. That's a long time in anyone's language, a sure sign this is a gig worth hanging on to :)

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yer workin yer ole lady awful hard making her do all that
    heavy lifting, Pete.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    :D :D

That's great, Pete.

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    What is the gig? What type of band and what type of venues?

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's what makes it all a bit mind-boggling for me. I've always associated this sort of treatment with bands that have successful albums and are famous. In this case, it's just a covers band, with a twist. They do mostly medleys. The songs themselves are corny retro and not challenging, but the transitions from song to song make it a tricky gig. So does the sheer volume of medleys. There are so many, I wonder if I'm ever going to memorise them all.

The work is probably 50% corporate and private functions, and 50% night clubs and bars. The corporate work is very lucrative. It pays very well but is therefore very hard to get into. Fortunately for me, the band has been around forever and are very much in demand in that clique.

6. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    Roadies are great, but where are the groupies?

7. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Very cool! It's surprising how rewarding a covers band can actually be, even when playing tired old material. For the most part, I've been involved with original bands or bands that pretty much jam/warp existing non-popular songs. In the last couple of years I have been playing straight up classic rock and crowd pleasers. I get my energy off the crowd and them enjoying it and putting on a good performance rather than the material so much. Now if I could just get a roadie and get paid...

8. ikareru

ikareru

Jan 8, 2002
    Ferndale, MI
    wow -- you are living the dream! Congratz, man!

Well, the roadies will give you more time to get with the groupies! :bassist:

9. There ya go.

It's amazing how much more socializin you can get done when you don't have to load out!

Roadies kick ass. Take care of them, and they will take care of you.

10. steve21

steve21 Banned

No pic no roadie.

:p

Just kidding, that's pretty cool dude.

11. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I work in a tribute band that has full production including roadies. the one thing I personally do is tip the roadies from my own pocket BEFORE the shows. It makes a world of difference to me and them.

sounds like a cool gig... congrats and good luck!!!

12. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    thats wonderful man, good for you! good luck.

13. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I need me one of them roadies. I sometimes take my 15 son to gigs and he ends up helping the drummer.:D

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Man, that's awesome. If I had a roadie, I would never stop thanking him... I hate hauling gear, by time it's rockin' time, I've used up a bulk of my insane bottled up energy.

That's sweet though, jealous is I.

15. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Congrats!

Man, when I was younger and travelling on the road, playing full time, we had to turn down all the people who wanted to be a part of the road crew!

But back then I was younger and we really didn't need them. Now that I'm older, and could really use them...now I have to haul it myself!

That's just too cool that you have roadies. I've often said I now play music for free...it's the gear hauling and setup/tear-down that I get paid for.

Makes me think about just hiring someone to do it for me...even if the band doesn't have their own!

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Noted! We did a bit of a road trip this weekend so the whole band and crew spent a lot of time together. As it turns out, the roadie and I get along like a house on fire. I found myself making sure he was never hungry, never thirsty, and never left out of the fun and games. He seemed to appreciate that. And despite giving him my heavier gear, I went to the trouble of installing wheels and decent handles. He couldn't stop thanking me for making his life that little bit easier.

Even the sound crew are good blokes, as are the band members. Things are so much easier when everyone gets along!

17. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    That's awesome Pete! What's the name of your band by the way, and do you have a website you would like to share?

18. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    way to go man!!:)

sounds like you'll be having a blast

19. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    What he said.

Congratulations!

Marshall

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If you marketing students ever needed proof that a band name is what you make it, here's a perfect example......

The band is called Jellybean Jam!

http://www.jellybeanjam.com.au/

Obviously I'm not on the website yet. I replace the guy in the red (Rob). He's a good player and a hell of a nice guy so they're big shoes to fill.