1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've found it! I've got my tone

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Trimmo91, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Trimmo91

Trimmo91

Apr 29, 2015
    Uk
    After lots of experimentation with strings, pickups, amps and technique I feel.that I have finally achieved the bass tone that has always been in my head.

A real thumpy resonant sound with no click and no "CLANG" from pulling the strings excessively to get the fingerboard slap. The sound found in most Big Joe Turner and Whynonie Harris recordings.

Superior Bassworks dirty gut deluxe strings at a low height --- kna db-1 pickup ---- Sansamp paradriver preamp and di.

I'll post a Facebook link to a vietual6gig we did on Saturday to raise money for our local hospitals in the uk where the sound is direct from our mixing desk.

Would love to know your opinions of my sound (keep it friendly).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  2. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    They do amp very nicely, great tone. The complete set is what I used, plugged in to the studio system, for our most recent album (there's a link below in my signature line if you want to hear samples). I also used a Vic's bridge wing pickup for that album.

After the album I found that acoustically, like for jams and such, I could never get the Deluxe E and A to play clearly or with enough volume. So I switched out the SBW Deluxe E and A for Innovation SilverSlaps E and A. For my Alcoa, this mix is excellent both acoustically and amped, with great tone and clarity, plenty of volume and a great feel for the hands.

Also, for peizos, I've moved to a Vic's Model C bridge wing and fingerboard pickup 2-channel system feeding into an onboard K&K Dual Channel Pro ST pre-amp. For a mounted mic, I'm using a Sennheiser e604 with a clean line out. Great results.

There is a world of choices regarding strings, pickups, pre-amps, amps, cabs... Plus all the setup options. Maybe that's why the double bass is so much fun.

3. Trimmo91

Trimmo91

Apr 29, 2015
    Uk

This is the sound I've achieved with this set up

4. Trimmo91

Trimmo91

Apr 29, 2015
    Uk
    As I'm always playing through a preamp the E and A work fine for my use.

It's the KNA DB-1 and Sansamp that have really surprised me

dhergert likes this.
  5. Trimmo91

Trimmo91

Apr 29, 2015
    Uk
    Though I was recently tempted to get some spirocore weich E and A but decided against it. Wouldn't have made a massive difference through an amp.

dhergert likes this.
  6. Betcha end up with em

james condino likes this.
  7. I feel.that I have finally achieved the bass tone that has always been in my head.

A real thumpy resonant sound with no click and no "CLANG" from pulling the strings excessively to get the fingerboard slap. The sound found in most Big Joe Turner and Whynonie Harris recordings.

Would love to know your opinions of my sound (keep it friendly).[/QUOTE]

Can you get that tone without an amp? I mean that in a friendly way. I bet you need to raise the strings and rethink your right hand if you want that same fat tone acoustic. Maybe...again not a criticism, it sounds nice, just something tilhink about

Hoyt likes this.
  8. Trimmo91

Trimmo91

Apr 29, 2015
    Uk

Can you get that tone without an amp? I mean that in a friendly way. I bet you need to raise the strings and rethink your right hand if you want that same fat tone acoustic. Maybe...again not a criticism, it sounds nice, just something tilhink about[/QUOTE]

I can but the shaping of the tone through the paradriver really emphasises the resonance and thump which doesn't come across fully. As I always play plugged in for gigs I don't feel I need to achieve this exact sound acoustically if it can be achieved through this set up

The Biz likes this.
  9. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

Nice balanced group tone in a live setting.
    Personally dig the bass tone especially because one can hear it.

Wonderful, esoterically complex upright tones, while often our goal
    Mean nothing if the bass cannot be heard by the audience.

+1 for the harmonies and lead guitar.

I would pay to see you guys!

210superair likes this.
  10. Trimmo91

Trimmo91

Apr 29, 2015
    Uk
    Thank you for the kind words!

Keith Rawlings likes this.
  11. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    We are essentially talking about a metal-string/gator-line mix here so there are big touch and setup related differences to consider...

If you do get Spiro EA of any tension, I suspect you'll experience a massive touch mis-match with the SBW Deluxe D and G due to at least gauge, stiffness and tension differences.

Also, setting up the bridge action with this mix could be difficult unless you get the lowest tension Spiros -- if it were me, for the best tension mix and best compatibility on the bridge with any TI string and Deluxe DG, I'd probably use Solos in standard tuning, but there would still be a big gauge difference and a big stiffness difference (I'd be tempted to consider SuperFlexible Solos instead).

The tone and volume mix with Spiro-EA/Deluxe-DG, depending on how used the Spiros are, might be ok, as there are a lot of people who have liked used Spiro E or EA under plain gut.

Great sound, btw!!!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Trimmo91 likes this.
  12. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019
    Y’all sound amazing! Love those harmonies and your slap sound is excellent!

Trimmo91 likes this.
  13. Trimmo91

Trimmo91

Apr 29, 2015
    Uk
    Most recent post lockdown performance in the UK using this set up. Still love it and will not be making any changes soon.

morebass!, Earl, Joshua and 1 other person like this.
  14. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    Yeah, you guys sound great, love the harmony. That makes it for me personally.

Never heard of those strings and I'm in the string rabbit hole currently. Can you bow um?

15. Trimmo91

Trimmo91

Apr 29, 2015
    Uk
    Thanks for the kind words!

The superior bassworks strings are really affordable synthetic gut strings and are incredibly popular amongst rockabilly players. Their textured finish means that yes they are bowable!

210superair likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021