1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I've got $100 from the college to spend on a pickup

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Claypool-esque, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Claypool-esque

Claypool-esque

Mar 18, 2002
    Got $100 from my school to buy a pickup. ive been looking around and have some ideas, but I'm just curious what some opinions are on the best pickup for the money. The bass im using is pretty new-1999. Solid body, no laminates. It will be used mainly for fingerstyle, but also some bowed. any input is be appreciated. :D

2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
  3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Only $100 leaves few choices; basically the Fishman or the K & K Bassmax, or the Shadow version of the Underwood. I would recommend the Bass Max from Bob Gollihur without hesitation, particularly for a school. My college had a Fishman, and we went through 3 from taking them on and off (the elements can easily get small cracks), and the durability and sound of the Bass Max is much better.

I prefer my Schertler or a mic, but I still keep the Bass Max in the gig bag should I need it. I sold everything else I tried long ago.

Monte