Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've got $100...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by memphissound, Jul 30, 2001.

1. memphissound

memphissound

Jul 30, 2001
    OK...here's my situation.

The bass player in my band is leaving for grad-school, now I (a strat-cat) will become a bottom feeder for the time being untill we can find a full time foundation layer with one guitarist and a drummer. I have an Ibanez 4 stringer (SG400?) and an inexpensive bass combo amp (Gorilla). The bass has treble and bass controls with separate volume controls for neck and bridge. The amp has a presence control with a three band eq, plus a mid and high boost switches. I already have a compressor and chorus pedal.

My question: I want to create a full sound to round out the band when the guitarist takes a lead solo. Should I take my $100 from a recent gig and invest in:

1) A solid EQ unit. I'm thinking of the Yamaha NE-1, or a BOSS unit.
    2) A bass octaver. And if so, which would you recommend?
    3) An inexpensive muli-effect unit. I've seen the ZOOM and Korg, but both strike me as being very flimsy.

Personally, I'm leaning toward the octaver. Option 3 makes me a little leary because whatever I get must be reliable. You may also notice I have no reverb, so I guess that may be an option as well. Let me here your opinions.

2. save it and buy a new bass and a new amp... everything you try is probably going to sound pretty bad with that setup...
    if your not looking for something to big, try the ampeg combo's their pretty small but sound EXCELLENT and not much $$$ either. A lot of people seem to like thems there ibanez's and if you do to then great but i personally would trade it in and save up for something a bit better... maybe even cheaper but a bit better...
    after thats all set and done, go out and buy your toys...

ps. i would go with an eq pedal. octavers won't have as much use as you think and multi-effects really aren't worth it. also reverb is usually useless on the bass in my opinion

3. i second that. a new amp is your first priority. without a decent gigging amp, nothing else matters. whatever you do, don't get the cheap multi fx, and for the love of GOD don't get a reverb anything. reverb is strictly guitar territory. i find the best tactic, when the guitar drops out to solo, is to just fill in the bassline with some basic stuff, a few more notes here, play the octave or 5th on this note there... etc.

this is all just my opinion, but consider it anyway. :)

4. memphissound

memphissound

Jul 30, 2001
    Thank you, gentlemen.

Your input has been greatly appreciated.

5. Man, there's nothing worst then a guitar player who thinks he can play bass.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Why do you have to be so elitist? I think its a great thing that memphissound is playing bass, however temporary his situation might be. IMO a comment like yours just makes people think bassists are a bunch of a-holes.

And to get back to the original question, I'd follow the other guys' advice and save up for a better amp.

7. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Hey Donne, there's nothing worse than a fool who thinks he's funny!

Memphissound - I started from a similar situation as you - 3 years on I feel I have found my natural musical voice - good luck, your knowledge of geetarr chords will be very helpful to constructing full basslines.

8. memphissound

memphissound

Jul 30, 2001
    Thanks again for the advise and for the 80% support. I'll be back in touch to let you know how it goes, and probably for some more advice.

9. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I don't feel a full sound is obtained by effects. You get it with what you play (note selection, rythem, tempo, etc.) and a good quality, basic sound.

If you go through a PA, a quality direct box may help (depending on the quality of your existing bass). A Sans Amp between the bass and PA could work wonders. Then you would use your amp as an on stage monitor.

Possibly a good pre amp like a Sadowsky, Fodera, etc. may help.

You should try all these to see if they actually make an improvement or do they just add more stuff.

Or the other thing could be to invest in a few lessons. This is NOT a put down on you but some guitarists transition very naturally and some just need a little direction. I think if your bandmates think you sound cool, then go with a DI or preamp.

If your bandmates think you need help (with the bass playing), take a few lessons.

Remember, good playing with OK sound, sounds good. Crappy playing with good sound, sounds crappy.

LeonD

10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I totally agree that NOTHING is gonna help that little Gorilla cover a drummer under a lone lead line.

If this is truly a short-time assignment down here with us low-enders (and don't EVER call me a "bottom feeder" again... :D ), you may want to consider renting a decent amp for each gig. I would recommend 200 watts minimum and a single 15" as a good solid all-purpose rig (be sure the amp's wattage is rated at the SPEAKER's impedance). Rule of thumb is the bassist needs 2-3 times the power of the biggest guitar amp in the band.

Be careful with your chorus -- wide sweeps can make the bottom drop out. The chorus's effect is produced by alternately cancelling and reinforcing frequencies; when this happens to low nootes, the whole band loses its foundation. If your chorus happens to be a Boss CE-5, you have high and low filters. Use the low filter to eliminate the drop-out.

You can consider going direct ONLY if the band has a HONKIN' pa system -- 150-200 watts/side with at least 15" woofers. In this case, a Tech 21 Acoustic DI (my preference) or a Bass Driver DI (almost everyone else's) will do the job. Either is around $180 at all the chains and mail order houses. IME, 100 W/side and 12" woofers will NOT produce a very convincing bottom.

Please be sure to report progress...

11. To be honest, who cares what people think? If you cared what people think, you wouldn't think of the bass as a real instrument, or 'easier' than guitar, as it only has 4 strings.

And the only bassists I've ever met who were assholes were the ones who had taken it up while being guitar players, believing it was easier than guitar, or because they sucked at the 6-string toy.

Again, a vote for a better amp.

12. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    So you have 100 bucks! Buy a decent instrument mic, use your rig until the bass position is arighted, and sell or keep the mic!

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Say some guy, Joe, thinks all bass players are idiots. Then you go to a job interview and Joe is the guy interviewing you. he finds out you are a bassplayer, and thinks of you as an idiot, and you don't get the job, even though if your reputation didn't precede you you would have easily qualified. A reputation can go a long way, and IMO I would rather have a good reputation than a bad one.

Ok that example was kind of silly, but what other people think of you can actually make a difference.

14. memphissound

memphissound

Jul 30, 2001
    :confused:

So I should spend the money on a good reputation.

;)

15. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Ah, if only all it took were money... come to think of it, if that's what it took, my reputation wouldn't be all that great anyway.:(

16. Whoa dancehall...errr...I did get a cheap multi fx...I couldn't resist the thought of getting new sounds from my bass...

BUT I have NO money for the high end stuff. I got a Zoom 506 II and to me it sounded pretty good for the $90 bucks it cost.

You know... like with the MIM... I'll stick to the Zoom for now and later I get the biggies. Anyway the cheap amp I now have (soon I'll get a Peavey 150-wattie for the band...my first one) and the Zoom will become the HOME PRACTICE kit. I don't need the $30000000 effects or the 40 feet high superamp to exercise them fingers at home.

;)

But as always we all appreciate the feedback...

17. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Hey Memphis!

I'm a bassplayer who recently started playing guitar as well. I agree with the amp comments but I will add this.

The guitarist may have to compensate by playing more double stops in his solo but heres what you do... When he takes a solo you play a little harder and a little busier. A LITTLE! So as he finishes his widdling and facial contortions you drop back into the 'normal' bassline. Another trick you could employ (sometimes) is to drop out the guitar and let the bass n drums take the strain for a couple of bars. So when he kicks in with his Mesa Boogie Rectumfrier and 45 pedals its sounds more not less.

The temptation maybe to copy the guitar line or play what you played on your Strat. Use the chord and kick drum as reference. nb reference not stick to them. Last tip I sometimes dont play on the snare beat (2 and 4) cos it accentuates it. Other than that jump in the waters fine. PS I replied to your e-mail, thanks.PPS use the money to buy Valium for some of our friends, you are a fellow musician not the enemy.

18. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I wouldn't say that guitarists that want to play bass all think they already know how to play bass. Personally, I took up bass a few months after taking up the guitar. I knew bass was very different from guitar and it wasn't any easier than guitar. I just wanted a bass because I like bass and what it does, and wanted to be able to play both. I think you should be easy on guitarists who want to learn bass, they will eventually take the bass more seriously and want to learn more.

19. First off, I wouldn't want to work for anyone who judged me by my instrument. Just because some guy is so big headed that he reckons bass sucks, I don't have to worry what he(or other people)thinks, as he's an idiot.

Second, every single bassist I know(around 6),except me, took up bass because they found guitar too hard. So maybe my view is coloured a little:rolleyes:

20. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Get Wagner's "The Valkerie" (sp?) aka "Die Walkure" (sorry i left out the accents.) Then you'll have about $20 left for a half of a lesson or a set of strings.