Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've got 2 bass's to pick from

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I've got good deals on three bass's, each of witch I want to a certain degree. They are the Mike dirnt P-bass, mark hoppus J-bass/P-bass whatever. The dirnt is 260, the hoppus 400, (dollars)

I know your all gonna say forget the hoppus it has no tone knob, but that one tone, is the tone I want, I hate having knobs if I can help it. My ibanez has on and it has not once been moved.

The Mike dirnt I hear has a really kick ass bridge on it, and a good pick up too.

Those are the possitives for me, I think the only negitives about the 2 fenders are that they sractch pretty easy I've heard. So witch one would you guys pick?

I plan on using this next bass for band practice, on stage applications, and recording or what ever. And use my ibanez for practice in my room or whatever so I dont scratch up my new one as much.

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If the bass has the tone you want and you don't like knobs then you answered your own question. I hope you don't mind if add some comments:
    As we find ourselves in different situations(gigs, studio, etc.)having some flexibility is usefull. Even if you don't think you will use it right away you may find an extra pick-up or tone knob usefull later on. The other thing I wanted to add was in regards to having a "practice bass" and a studio/gig bass. The reason for practicing is not just to learn your parts, it's also usefull for developing a "touch" and comfort level on your instrument. The other thing is that our basses help to drive our creativity and you want to take advantage of the bass that most suits you and your personality. In short, the bass you gig and record with should be the bass you primarily practice with. I think scratches are fine as long as they aren't a product of abuse. Scratches document the time and hard work you have devoted to your instrument and your art.

3. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well I think Im going to go with the Dirnt actually, the price is what is working for me now, 400 dollars is to much for me right now, and the dirnt sounds almost as perfect a sound for me, and im sure with the twist of the midrange knob it'll be perfect.

The whole practice bass thing or whatnot, I understand what you saying, but my room is so small that if a phone rings and startles me, I will turn and the head stock is guarenteed to hit something. But most of the time when I practice its in the "practice room" if you will, drumset and amps are all downstairs, so I can get play downthere all day. But at night is when I practice unplugged in my room. So my ibanez semi hollow sounds perfect unplugged unlike fenders I've used unplugged. So thats the only issue with that.

Thank you for the suggestions though, and I dont see why anyone would mind extra help even if they just end up ignoring it in the end. So I think i'll get the dirnt for now and save the hoppus for another day. I do thank you for not lashing out on hoppus or his bass becuase thats what most people do, so thank you for respecting my point of view too.

That about covers it, If anyone has anything else usefull feel free to.

Thanks, ;)
    Sean

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Get one of those headphone amps for unplugged practice. They really work. Mine is a Rockit.

5. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I dont really have that much use for those, I dont practice after 10 that much that I need to buy a new "amp" for practice. So I'll just stick with my ibanez for practice. Its semi hollow so its bassicly semi acoustic. I can just sit out on a couch or what ever and relax, its just the whole acoustic thing that aids in the relaxing, I like a punchy mid sound, so that doesn't exactly relax me to much. The deep mellow sound from my ibanez does though.

Thanks again
    Sean

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I agree. I have a pandora and I love it to death. I use it relentlessly.

I find it helps my feel a lot more than playing unplugged...which makes me hit too hard so I can hear myself. Its done more to improve my technique than any other bass 'toy' I own.

7. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    UGH, well browsing ebay, and my OCD issues have made me want to just get a standards bass, so I dont care about dings or whatever. so my question to you all, is what is the major diffrence between P and J bass's? I mean in sound, Can you get the "punk" sound out of a J-bass, I prefer the shape of the J-bass more than P-bass but if I can't get my sound...

Thanks yet again
    Sean

8. you can get a punk sound with either a j or a p bass. if i was in the same spot as you, i'd get the dirnt because a. looks cooler b. i like green day better than blink 182, but if you have the sound you want in a hoppus, why pass it up?

9. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Becuase the hoppus is to much money as I stated above. ;)

Ugh, the dirnt, I'd go for it, Im still thinking about it, but I just like the idea of getting a standard bass and not having to worry about dings and sratch's. So I really have some thinking to do. Alot of thinking, and it needs to be done within a few hours.

The sound I want is that really dirty growly sound. I dont know if you know it but its Online songs by blink, the beggining of that is the sound I want. If I can get that with a J-Bass I'd be set right now.

Thanks
    Sean