Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've got $400 to blow.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Money, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    What 5 string bass should I get?

And no, I will not get an Essex... I can't buy something I haven't tried first, sorry.

I was looking at those OLP Spector copies and was VERY impressed. And with those EMG's, who can argue?

I want something with smaller string spacing... I won't be slapping on it much, if at all, so I don't require a big gap between the strings...

Perhaps a Rockbass?

Ibanez?

I don't want to spend over $400... the most is $420, and thats with tax.

2. you might be able to find a used lakland skyline 55-01 for that price, or you could get another fender. the mim 5 strings are about 420 IIRC

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Large deposit to paypal@leuchtnet.com ...

Your gratitude will repay you later ;)

Other than that, check out the used market, I've caught some amazing deals (MIM Fender P with EMG's and HSC in Mint Cond for $200) so don't "blow" it, wait for something you really REALLY want.

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    OLP MM3... maybe.... just maybe... I liked it when I played it...

5. blow it

:eek:

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is used an option? You say nothnig you havent played before, but what if you play the thing in a shop, and then buy one on ebay?

7. I'd honestly let that 400 bucks sit around and grow to match the amount needed for the bass you might have GAS for, honestly...

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ditto. If i had $400 itd SO go towards my Stingray fund. But right now i have $125 and its all going towards Bartolinis for my fretless.

9. That's if YOU had the $400. Mike could just want a bass to fool around with. So I say "if you want it get it."

BTW i played an OLP at GC a couple weeks ago, great bass for the money.

10. ninkompoop

ninkompoop

Apr 20, 2003
    You could probably get a real spector from ebay with 400 bucks.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea they make that performance series one or whatever.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hotrod the hell of a bass you already have?

You could put a killer pickup and the new Ravens Lab P-Bass Preamp in your fretless Squier, or (I'm assume Peavey G-Bass is a Grind) some intense EMGs in said Peavey, or Duncans, or DiMarzios and a U-Retro preamp. Maybe a new bridge too? Whatever you do with it, HAVE FUN!

13. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    Go directly to www.americanmusical.com and get a Yamaha BB1000MA. The ones in the green finish are only 370. I just got one (in the black finish which for some reason is much more) today and it is absolutely amazing. Not many point for versatility but everything else is simply fantastic. Pick-ups sound great, very nice hardware, excellent construction, high quality wood and it looks great. Even the nobs are cool. It sounds like a P/J on steroids times 1800 Million. Maybe 1800 million is a tad overzealous but 1700 million at the very least. My girlfriend got it for me as a christmas present and I love it to death. It's normally around 700 but they have some sort of deal with the factory or whatever. I don't care, this thing is great. I'm playin it right now, this post took me about 30 minutes to write because I keep stopping to admire it in all its low-end grace.

14. I can't wait until I have $400 to blow:)

15. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I really like the Korean Spectors. IF you can score one for 400, then go for it!

Oh ya- I know that it wasn't on your list, but the black acoustic Fender bass that I played at GC was pretty nice for the price. I believe it was $380.00

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    That used Spector is ringing my bell...

A lot. :p

Its the same color scheme as the OLP model i was considering... damn, thats so nice...

Now that I'm thinking, Essex doesn't sound too bad... I would rather not get one, but I'll keep it as an option...

But that spector is looking reaaalllly nice right now.

17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Maybe I should send Gard a PM... see what he can do for me...

18. Honestly if your going that route try the Brice Active 5er or the Brice Douglas J.

Otherwise, a used Spector don't sound half bad!