i've got $800 cdn, what should i be looking for

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bloodandwhiskey, May 17, 2004.

1. i've got $800 to spend on a new amp and was wondering what types of heads and cabs i should be looking at buying. i'm probably gonna get a used amp and was also wondering what things i should watch out for wiht a used amp.
  2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    More money? :smug:
  3. Hi,

Given your budget did you looked at Yorkville? Their XM200T (2x10) sounds really nice and you would have money to spare: should be around 650$ Can (With tax).

Sure it's not a big name but try it.... You might be very surprised.

If 200W isn't enough look at the XM400 (better EQ and has a compressor built-in I think) but this will be around 1000$ Can.

So far I've only heard good thing as for their reliability.... And it is made HERE in Canada!!!
  4. If you're into the Yorkville stuff, it might be worth it to check into the older used models at L&M. It doesn't have the tube preamp, but it's still a usable tone. I managed to pick up a used 400B head, and the matching 2x10 cab for $380 CDN.
  5. How about the new Yorkville tube amp.
  6. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Second I read the title, I was gonna say that. Then I opened it and you already did. :crying:

I'd recommend GK, probably used.
  7. I second the Yorkville motion.

You can also rent stuff from L&M and if you like it, you can buy it and put the rental money toward the purchase price. That's how I bought my Yorkville cabs. A great way to try out used gear for a month to see if it suits what you need.
  8. Are you still using that rig? What kind of music do you play?
  9. tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    A couple of ideas. First, go used. I got a mesa m-pulse 360 for 950 canadian. You may want to try looking at local classifieds (call people that are even two or three hundred over you price range, and offer what you can), or going to L and M or the like (L and M can sometimes check their system for used amps around canada and bring one in for you (no shipping costs either). It will take you a while, but there are good deals out there. If you do want to resell or trade that amp in in the future, you can probably at the same price you bought it for (if you get a good deal in local classifieds). Be sure to deal with the seller!!! I try to lowball, and slowly move up my price.

On the other hand, there are these two yorkvilles. I think the YBA200 is going to be pretty hot (200 watts TUBE). The new bassmaster (800watts) is pretty powerful too, but you may want to try the 400 watt version; I have found it plenty loud...
  10. tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Oops, I didn't realize 800 dollars for an amp (cab included). Go used!!! You might find a cheap cab and cheap head (I got my Eden 410XLT for 400can, and I have seen SWR studio 220s for less than that.

11. Yup, only rig I have. I mainly play punk, but I've tried a bit of everything.
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Las Vegas
  13. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    You can have my Hartke 3000 and Tranporter 210 and 115 for $800 CDN :bag:
  14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    ummm... a group of really gnarly women ? ohhhh sorry - a bass rig ... seriously, I'd second the used market the $800 cdn is a little less than $700 USD and there aren't any real good rigs in that kind of range new. If you are patient you can piece to gether something pretty decent for that though ... Good luck hunting