Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've got a bit of a problem with my warwick

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, May 5, 2005.

1. Ok, I've been messing about with the just-a-nut 2 and the bridge on my thumb. I raised the action because I was getting this 'click', but it didn't want to go away. I also noticed that it'd developed a buzz at the biridge when played acoustically. I got my manual, and read about the set up they do in the factory. I returned everything to that and the acoustic buzzing stopped(the only reason I can think of is that because the strings have formed grooves in the saddles where they've rubbed, when i heightened it, it made them buzz because they weren't a snug fit in the grooves they'd formed, if that makes sense...btw, the grooves are from the round wounds digging into the metal). Anyhow, I still got the click. It's due to the strings touching the frets, but it will not go away. I've got plenty of relief too. Now, is there some secret to getting rid of this? I've tried rolling back the treble and presence on my sansamp, but I lose all clarity, and also a lot of the warwick's tone. :help:

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Excessive clicking is usually (IMO) the sign of a bad technique. Are you finger picking, or using a pick? If you're finger picking than you're probably just digging in too hard while you're playing. If you're using a pick you may just be attacking the strings too hard.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    The click (I think) you're talking about is what got me to eventually buy a MusicMan, and ultimately sell the Warwick for my 3rd MM which is in transit to my house this very moment. :) I loved the tone of the Warwick, but in order for me to get rid of that clicking I had to either EQ it to mud, dramatically change my playing style, or rip into the bass until everything I played was distorted and growly (which actually sounded pretty damn good).

I don't click on any other basses but Warwicks. I think they simply don't gel with the way some of us play. MY suggestions are the above, plus:

Try nickel coated strings or flatwounds.
    Learn to play with a really light touch.
    Use a parametric EQ to really hone in on the click and eliminate it (and only it).
    Sell the warwick and buy a MM.

4. I'm sure it's not that honest. I've tried playing REALLY light, and it remains there. It seems to be that the slightest motion downwards smacks the string into the fret and creates a click. I was using a pick when playing acoustically and it seemed to get rid of the click(due to the motion being all downwards). I can't try it with an amp yet though because it's a bit late.

5. DON'T tempt me! I heard a Sterling today and really liked it, but I don't think I could bear to part with my warwick as it's an absolute monster in some respects. I've been wondering, would a swamp ash warwick have this click? reading the manual it says they're more warm and less attacking than Bubinga.

6. I can truly GUARANTEE that I could play your Warwick with "NO CLICK" !! ;) ;)

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Dude, you are going through precicely what I did. :D I thought the same exact stuff, maybe I should have gotten a different wood... in my case - maybe I should have bought a thumb after all. It was also next to impossible for me to let the warwick go. Sat in my house for 5 years coming out to play only once every 3 months if it was lucky. They're beautiful basses, they feel great, when they sound great they sound like nothing else on the planet.... they're so hard to part with but after getting my sterling I couldn't go back to it. Now that I've gotten a Bongo the Sterling is hanging out doing nothing for quite some time. I know I'll use that again - it still feels more at home to me than the Bongo, but nothing I've ever played sounds like a Bongo. The one on it's way also has a piezo - I am totally freaking out waiting. It should (I pray) be in my hands tomorrow. Good luck. Save your butt off, keep the warwick and buy yourself a Sterling. My finances totally didn't allow any of these basses, but I wanted them badly enough that the universe provided ways to have em.

8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm afraid that I'm not going to jump on the "All Warwicks click" bandwagon. I owned a '97 Corvette and never had any clicking issues.

9. I agree, the Bongo I played was NICE(made the Stingray I played look obring).

10. Found something interesting out. I had a couple of strings snap, so I put some older D'addario XL nickel wound strings on that I had as spares(they weren't dead, just that I boiled them and they seemed to get a bit burnt..ooops) and the sound has livened up. Despite the string's appearance they actually sound like new. I'll see what happens when I put all the scorched D'addarios back on.....

11. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Can't you post a sound clip or two? I'm really curious as to what the Warwick click sounds like. Does it also click when you're playing near the bridge, or playing really, really softly, say, with your thumb?
    My playing only "clicks" when I'm playing near the neck and digging in too hard.

12. I don't have a recording program anymore. I can't configure audacity with the LAME encoder.

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Can't you have Audacity create a .wav file and compress it with an audio ripping program like CDEx? Failing that, even a microphone and Windows sound recorder will do. I recorded some a few silly slap riffs with a microphone before and they came out okayish.

14. problem is, windows sound recorder makes files that are about 3 billion KBs and are only a few seconds long. I liked Audactiy, it's just I accidentally deleted LAME encoder and coudln't re-confiugure it again. I'm useless with computers.