1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've got a fever...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ArtechnikA, Apr 10, 2015.

1. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    You too?
    Here's your guy:
    Cowbell Player

2. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Aw, man. If he played the triangle too, I would hire him. :smug:

3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Pro cowbellists are in high demand and get paid the big bucks. He won't come cheap!

4. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    2 semi professional cowbellists

[​IMG]

5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    There's a great story that, um, I think it was producer Richard Perry, tells about the Carly Simon/James Taylor tune "Mockingbird" which appeared on Simon's Hotcakes album. He says the tune was in the can, all tracks recorded, ready to mix...and yet it just kind of sucked. Didn't groove, didn't inspire, didn't make anyone really feel good (which was sort of the whole point of the tune). So he's faced with the choice of A) release a lame non-grooving tune, or B) give up and don't include it on the album.

Instead he went with option C). He hired session percussionist Ralph MacDonald to come in and overdub some cowbell. And Ralph -- who was a high-demand, big-bucks-making pro cowbellist par excellance -- played quarter notes throughout the tune. Just straight four-on-the-floor "donk, donk, donk, donk" on the cowbell

...except, because Ralph was a consumate pro (read: triple-scale NYC session musician with a bazillion album credits) it wasn't really straight four-on-the-floor quarter notes; Ralph pushed the beat in such a way that the non-grooving, non-inspiring, non-feelgood tracks suddenly grooved, inspired, and felt good. One overdub fixed it. Tune became a Top 10 hit. Because of a cowbell.

Torrente Cro likes this.
  6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

That ad is beautiful. "All pro gear".... Love it!

7. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Can you imagine being the first chair triangle player for a major symphony orchestra? If that was me, I could walk around with my head held high. And just play bass guitar at home in secret. No one would have to know.

M. M. :)

zontar likes this.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Riiiiight. There's so much instrumental cover in that song that you can barely hear the cowbell. Urban legend, if that.

9. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Since nobody's asked it yet--what's best cowbell for metal?

And what about woodblocks?

Imperfectly Spliced likes this.
  10. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Since our band stopped playing Honky Tonk Woman my drummer has been much happier. He hates dragging out that cowbell. Go figure.

M. M. :)