1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I've got a jones for a P bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BawanaRik, Aug 11, 2012.

1. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I still miss my 1959 that Dave Larue ended up with back in the late eighties. Best P bass I had. I also realize that I'll never be able to afford another one quite like that.

What I might be able to do is an early 70s rosewood burst.

What's a good price for one of these? I got a line on a brown one that's allegedly factory brown but I can't dig the color. And it's maple.

What's the numbers I should be looking at? Any other advice would be welcome.

2. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Actually the fender American standards 2008 or after are no joke.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    No clue on pricing for vintage models. It's a case by case basis.

However, as mentioned the MIA 08'+ models are awesome as are the AVRI's.

4. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I realize that. One of my few point of really being narrow minded is that I think a Fender should have the serial number on the backing plate.

I do have a MIJ Strat with the serial number on the headstock. So I can deal.

In fact I would consider a MIJ Precision
    if the deal was right. I would even consider a parts bass but have a hard time seeing how a parts bass would fetch more than a Fender.

One of my "buddies" has a Mexican Strat and I fixed it after he neglected it to death. Not only did the guitar have the sound, but it played well. After I set it up.

No one needs a 5K custom shop bass. It's nice but for the first decades of rock most bass tracks were tracked with an off the rack P-Bass and to a lesser extent an off the rack J-Bass.

Even if Donald Duck eventually had a signature model he paid the bills with a beat up stock P-Bass, wearing out those top five frets.

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You should really look at the AVRI's then :) They are MIA, some of the older ones are MIJ.

The 62' and 57' are both great basses. It's been said many times that you're getting a Fender Custom Shop bass at production level pricing. Having played a few CS models, I'm inclined to agree.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

BIG +1
    Also the "Roadworn P-Bass are killer to.

7. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    I see prices in vintage guitar magazine and on the bay and here. A fair price is about 2 grand for a 70s fender. Mint condition I guess 4. But 2 is fair in my opinion.

But people love to raise the price and want 5 to 7 thousand. It's like, come on....it's not a 60's or back. It's CBS(everybody will shove that down your throat until the end of time)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If it makes you feel any better, it's been long gone out of Dave's collection ;)

9. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Dave could play that thing better than I ever could. He deserved it much more me.

That was a great bass