Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've got a new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vometia, Apr 20, 2005.

1. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    And not just any old bass, this one's really quite special; in fact IMHO it really is fantastic! Unfortunately it would be even more fantastic if the courier hadn't managed to break one of the knobs off, so I'll have to engage in the Talkbass tradition of making you all wait a bit longer for pictures while it's being repaired.

In the meantime, for your enjoyment, here's a picture of one of the knobs that they didn't break off:

[​IMG]

As for the bass itself, it'll have to remain a mystery for now, although I will give you a clue: it has four strings. :D

Chris.

2. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    David Lynch would love this...

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    More clues!

4. ratzpaul

ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    Europe
    G&L

correct?

5. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    I'm not telling! Not until I've got it back, anyway.

I'm seriously bummed out, though: I only had it a few hours before I needed to return it but I'm missing it already. It looked great and sounded better.

I'll post the photos next week.

Chris.

6. GB???
    I watched your Gas list in your profile and that's the only thing that can match that top,IMO.

7. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    Well... yes! It's been a while, but now it's back and better than ever. I thought that I should wait a few days before posting to make sure that whatever I say isn't influenced by "new thing euphoria".

This'll be mostly pictures as I'm rubbish at doing reviews, but I will whitter on a little bit. Getting from there to here has been a slightly chaotic journey partly due to me being agoraphobic and wilting every time the subject of phoning someone comes up, which makes communicating what I'm after somwhat difficult. Fortunately with the help of TB's Zenbass, who's really got this whole thing off the ground, and the missus who's done an awful lot of phoning people up for me (as well as taking some of the photos) as I've meandered through various specification changes and other stuff, I'm finally in possession of probably the finest bass I've ever handled.

The thing I'm really taken aback by are its looks. The pictures don't really do it justice and it really is a "grower": it seems that every time I look at it I see something else to like about it. I feel a bit guilty concentrating on the looks, though, as it does so well what GBs are famed for, which is the huge, huge flexibility of its sound. It's not something I feel I can adequately explain so I'm not even going to try, suffice to say that it has enough range to keep even the most adventurous players content. What really does it for me, though, is the neck: I've never played anything like it. I'll save you the superlatives, except to say if you ever have the chance to try one out, do it!

So, it's been a long time in the making what with one thing and another, but again thanks to Zenbass, the missus and GB's Bernie I have an instrument that I'm absolutely thrilled with! Here are a bunch of pictures: hopefully you can see why I'm so pleased with it.

(Image sizes fixed: please click on a picture for a bigger version).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    GB Rumour 4: maple/rosewood through-neck with sycamore body

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ooh! Look! Pretty lights!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And, of course, a couple of obligatory family portraits:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Whats the control layout on that badboy??? 36 volts???? :hyper:

9. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I like the honeyburst stingray most of all...

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I'm gonna guess that the top two battery compartments are for the LEDs...

I really like that color...the red is a perfect color. I bet it looks great in club lighting too.

I know nothing about GB basses. :confused:

11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    After looking at the site, I like the looks of yours better than any of the ones in their gallery.

Congrats!

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Action looks high?

14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Click on "Electronics" from the main page (and then there's another link once you scroll down within Electronics). :eek:
    http://www.druidmedia.co.uk/gbguitars4/mainframe.htm

Sweet bass, Chris! Please post a review once you've had some time.

Marshall

15. Sadly, with only two, you are suffering from an extreme lack of Musicmans :)

16. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i need one bass and you have six........... :ninja:

17. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    Bass, mids & treble; volume; bridge/neck pickup blend; serial/parallel selector switch; and, most importantly, on switch for LEDs. :D

½ of them are for the LEDs. Which are very bright. There was an option to have a controller to make them flash in various sound-sensitive patterns but I thought that having LEDs at all was quite ostentatious enough for me!

18. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    Ah. Er, yes. I was wondering if I should've said anything in my first post about it but I hoped that nobody would notice. The bass arrived perfectly setup: Bernie's good at that. Unfortunately, it also arrived with a set of allen keys. I was too impatient to wait for the neck to settle down and was just a little too keen to get rid of a little buzz from the low end of the A & E strings. :/

19. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    Thanks! I know it's really shallow, but I'm in love with the colour. It's hard to photograph quite right, but it looks like a really deep claret in the right light.

20. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Color is important if you're gonna stand behind it on stage...lots of people are gonna see you with it.

Nothing shallow at all.

It IS a pretty bass.

(Crosses fingers for my own pretty bass showing up today)