Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've got a new Yamaha Attitude bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MatW, Apr 15, 2003.

1. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Hi everyone,

I thought you might be interested to know that I picked up a brand new Yamaha Attitude 10th Anniversary bass.

I wasn't really in the market for one but I stumbled on an auction on ebay.com and the price seemed to good to be true. I previously owned one of the original basses years ago, so there was a certain amount of nostalgia involved, but I'm very happy. I've been playing Jazz basses for the last five years and this thing is the total antithesis of that. It's chunky, built like a tank with a huge neck and a powerful deep bass tone. It'll be interesting to see if the sound can cut through in a live situation?

This is the first 'P' style bass I've had in years so I've got a bit of adjusting to do. For example, I usually pluck hard over the bridge pickup on my Jazz, so when I pluck over the 'P' pickup the string feels a lot looser so I've to soften up my touch.

Anyway, onto the pics!

2. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    front

3. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    back..

4. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    headstock..

5. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    fingerboard..

6. Nice bass.. I like the Attitude.. It's the Only P type of bass I would like to own.

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    cool bass man. Billy would be proud of you :D

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    It´s.......purple!!!!!!!!???????

Despite the color, how does it sounds??

9. A friend of mine painted his kid's room that colour - it was called "Plum Crazy"!

:cool:

Cool bass - is the fretboard really scalloped?

Or are those just position markers to remind us regular folks that we aren't Billy Sheehan?!! ;)

10. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I'm still not completely sold on the looks yet. My girlfriend thinks it's the best bass I've bought because it matches the colour scheme in the bedroom! :D

I got it for $725 including shipping to the UK which I think is an absolute bargain. Plus it's a limited run of 300, but you see them on ebay from time to time. Maybe the looks are too much for some. I'd better get my chops together before I play it in public. ;)

In a word it sounds FAT. It really moves some air, I'd imagine the sound would be huge if you ran that DiMarizo Model 1 into a separate sub woofer. You can get some nice bite into the tone if you back off the Model 1 a touch. It's a big 'ol bass though, but not as heavy as you might think.

Yes, the upper frets are scalloped. Well, half scalloped just where the 'D' & 'G' strings sit. I had one before and I found the feature quite useful. I need to give it a damned good set up first though.

11. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    nice, i like the color. i have one of the original thunder blue attitude limited. i love it. It will sound great live, i play in stereo mode, so i mix right on the bass, depending on the song. try the rotosound
    billy sheehan strings on it, the g is 43 and the e
    is a little heavier 115 i think, the e will rattle with a std set 105 in it. I keep the hipshot greased up with
    a little vasoline on a q-tip, applied to the pivot. the 43 g makes the high bends easier. :)

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    nice...those are some really sweet basses, man

13. gotta love the colours they make those things, my attitude special, is toothpaste green, but it cost me £140 from a guitar shop that apparently knew nothing about the bass, on the reciept it reads

" Yamaha Robin hood signature bass,
    with free tunic + feather,
    little johns to follow"

anyway what do those dimarzio willpower pickups sound like? ive got the crappoid stock ones and wouldnt mind changing them, cheers

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I used to have a 5 string Attitude Bass. Nice instrument.

15. Wow, that bass is very purple. ;) But it's pretty dang sweet dude! That price is a steal for that bass! The only thing I'm wondering about is, why only a 2-bolt neck?

And how did they get the fingerboard to be purple? Dye?

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I can't decide whether or not i like it..