Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've got a question about my new amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by swassguy, Jun 30, 2005.

1. I just picked up a Mesa Boogie Buster 200 head. When I tried it out it sounded great, and now that I've gotten it home I haven't been able to play it yet, but I looked in the back and I've got 5 6L6GCs and one 5881 6L6. I'm sure it orginally came with all 6L6Gcs and I'm wondering what effect, if any, that 5881 wouls have on the sound or volume. Since it's the same family I'm sure it's not much...

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Tubeheads must be on vacation. Don't know squat about tubes but Dharmabass is an engineer and builds amps and can probably give you some idea if you email him - at least if he's trauma free at the moment.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    They're the same type of tube...Either way, I would think you'd want to get a matched set in there...your amp can't help but benefit from having all the same tubes in there.

I would say though, if your happy with what you have, why change now?

4. As said, its the same kind of tube just a different name ( like 12ax7 = ECC83 iirc )

5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

6. Yeah, I didn't think there would be any very bad consequences. I only have tube stuff and I know the importance of matching.

I was mainly concerned with coloring and power capabilities...

Thanks guys.