1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I've got a question for Pitchblack / TU-3 users!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gustobassman, Mar 5, 2013.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I have a question regarding the "true bypass" of the Pitchblack and the "buffered input" of the Boss TU-3. I am going to be buying a tuner today, and i'm not really too hip to the difference between the true bypass and buffered input. Will there be a significant difference between the 2 pedals? I like the idea of the Pitchblack (size, readability, accuracy) but everyone and their brother seems to use the Boss. Will the "buffered input" suck out my tone?

I've been using the search function on here most of the morning, but there was a lot of unrelated posts. Any more info/opinions would be great.

Thanks!

2. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    Check out the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner. My fav.

The answer regarding True Bypass vs buffered, as always, is it depends.

Some people recommend having a buffer if there is a lot of gain in the chain. I only use a tuner so I like true bypass.

3. I use a Tu-3 with good results. Never noticed any tone change, but I usually use it plugged in to the Tuner output on my amp.

It has 2 settings for brightness, and they are both pretty use able.
    I find it seems a little more precise in strobe mode, but quicker to use it in chromatic mode.

I traded a guitar pedal for mine, but If I was going to buy another one, Id probably get a better rack unit to use for setups, and a few cheap clip on tuners to use for practice and live gigs

4. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Ok that helps a little. The tuner would be the only other thing between my bass and the amp. I'm stuck with my old 800RB (all my newer gear stuff was stolen) and there is no tuner out.

I'm currently using an active-only Brute with 9 volt OBP-3 and Barts. Not sure if i need "buffering". Pardon my ignorance on this, i got away with using a real crappy tuner for years...

Some posts mentioned an audible pop with the Pitchblack. Is this a BIG issue?

5. I use the NS Mini Headstock tuner. Works good on my 5 string. Just have to use the harmonic at 12 fret for the B string but all others I can hit open string. I got mine for about $12 on Amazon.

pw_header_mini_headstock.

6. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    The only possible difference between true-bypass and buffered bypass can be in favor of buffered bypass.

I've tested TU-2 and Pitchblack with my PASSIVE P-basses.
    Using short cables - no difference at all.
    Using longer cables - Boss preserved my sound slightly better.

Active instruments don't need buffer, it's build inside them.

7. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Awesome thanks!

8. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Some buffers suck. The one in the Boss tuners is good. I'd say to choose between them based on features, etc. I think you'd be happy with either one. I have the Pitchblack and I love it. I have never had a problem, and I have NEVER heard a 'pop'!

9. Why do I sometimes get a pop after tuning up with pitchblack?

10. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    I've never had a audible pop with either the Boss or the PitchBlack tuners using active or passive basses. Out of the 2 I prefer the PitchBlack due to its size an large readout. Both are quality tuners and you can't go wrong with either one.

11. BassKitty101

BassKitty101

Jun 28, 2012
    Oregon
    Endorsing Artist: Luna Guitars, Ashdown Engineering, Cactus Picks
    I love the pitchblack tuner, never noticed any issues with it and certainly not a notably loud pop if any. Nice and cheap too.

12. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    +1 for the PitchBlack

Edit: no pops or issues at all from my PitchBlack

13. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Only issue I've had with my PitchBlack (in the five years or so I've had it) is that it's super hard to read if you're playing outside in direct sunlight. I have heard people say they can struggle with a low B though. No pops at my end.

I don't really like the Boss tuners, but with no real reason why. Considering getting a Polytune Mini soon just to free up some space though.

14. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Maybe there's something wrong with yours. Can you return it?

I tune to drop C, and sometimes drop A# with no problems (sometimes a tiny bit slow on the low A#)

15. Pitchblack for me. No pops either. If it pops, there is an issue with the pedal or your signal chain somehow.

As for buffers, you only need one for long cable lengths, to preserve signal strength. Any more than one has more potential to tone-suck. An active bass has an in-built buffer to there is no point deliberately getting another. I'd go true bypass in that situation.

16. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    The PitchBlack is the only tuner I've owned that I can see at a sunny outdoor gig & the main reason I bought it....
    Interesting

17. Wootie

Wootie

Oct 22, 2009
    Never had problems with either my pitchblack or my TU3. No popping noise, no tonesuck, nothing. Pitchblack tunes pretty fast and accurate up (or down?) to a low A.

However, a buddy of mine had huge problems with his hollowbody bass and the TU3. It wouldn't pick up a single note and just flash like crazy. I blame that on some strange overtones produced by the PUs in that situation.

18. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Perhaps yours is of a newer generation and they rectified the problem? I've seen people with TU2's who can't read them outside too, though apparently the TU3 is okay.

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Get a TC Polytuner and call it a day!

20. bezo420

bezo420

Aug 28, 2011
    Mentor
    I use the Korg Pitchblack and never heard a pop.

As far as the buffer debate, I run all true bypass pedals with one dedicated buffer. If you get a buffered tuner, and then use other buffered pedals, you run into problems. Boss pedals are buffered, but they are really weak buffers because they plan on having multiple boss pedals. Too many buffers is like a game of telephone, who knows what the pedal at the end is saying?!

Understanding active pickups helps too. Active pickups are crappy pickups that are boosted and buffered. That is what active circuitry does. The signal coming out of your bass is buffered WAY better than the Boss does. You don't need a buffer. Plus, the Pitchblack is better for other reason (size, accuracy, display, etc.).