I've got a Stingray!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thrasher717, Oct 4, 2003.

1. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    Some of you know from a previous post that I've been wanting to buy an SR5. I drove to Winnipeg a couple months ago to try one out since I had never played one. Needless to say, I loved it. After much thought, I decided I wanted Honeyburst/Rosewood/Black Pickguard. I watched eBay religiously for two months, hoping one would come up. Alas, none did. So I searched for authorized dealers, called one and told him what I was looking for, and he replied "you just described the last bass I have". They're not carrying guitars or basses anymore so everything left was on closeout. "$999 with case and free shipping". I got my credit card out.

I knew I'd be out of town the day it was scheduled to arrive so I made my sister wait at my house for the UPS man.

When I got home that night, I took it out to my band's rehearsal place, plugged it into my 1000watt rig and was blown away!

I checked eBay the next day and, wouldn't you know it, an identical (but used) SR5 was listed! It ended up going for $850 without a case.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just bursting with enthusiasm. Sometimes I just open the case and look at it. :D
  2. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    Oh yeah. Here's a picture:
  3. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    Or not. Why didn't the picture come up?
  4. Congrats man,I'm glad you're happy with what you bought:)

It's kind of like fate...sorta. Yah know,the whole ebay thing,and also,the bass being the last one in the store,hehe.

Well,enjoy it!:bassist:
  5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Looks nice man :) I've got a Sterling in that same color/pickguard. I love it.
  6. awesome buy! shes wonderful!

i played a fretless sr5 a couple weeks ago, translucent cherry red. i think it was a rosewood board, but it was very light; maybe pau ferro?

anyway! those damn good basses! and hey, for the extra 150'ish bucks there will be no dents etc.. :)
  7. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Ooo she's a keeper!
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Good going on that deal... thats a great price for a brand new Stingray... I sold mine for $1189 used... it was in mint condition... I didn't set the price either.... anyway... You got a great bass Congrats

and she looks good to
  9. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Extremely nice looking finish! Rock on...
  10. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    awesome looking bass!

you stole that bass at $1000!!!

I paid $1200 for my first two Rays. All others that I've bought have been used.
  11. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Nice bass!!! I sold mine a few months ago and I kind of miss it, I loved the sound but the spacing was too tight, here's a pic ;)

12. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    Oooh, I like that tort pickguard. Might have to get me one of them!