Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've got a student!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Oct 9, 2002.

1. :eek:

I've got my first official student who is serious about playing bass! He knows absolutely nothing about bass, or music in general. What would be the best way to go about teaching him the basics?

I started him out with bass nomenclature, so he knows what does what and why. I also have him memorizing the notes on the fretboard. I've taught him the musical alphabet and what not. I don't want to throw too much at him too fast, so at his request i'm taking him through it all kinda slow.

What would be a good curiculum for an absolute newbie?

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    "Immortal Corruptor"?

:D

I started to teach a dude once -- notes on the fretboard, parts of a bass, a couple of basic scale patterns. Then I showed him a few easy lines and riffs (he asked me to show him how to play two or three specific songs). The last lesson I taught him was to clip his nails if he thought he was gonna get serious about playing bass (they were about 1/4" long).

He sold his bass a few months later, now he plays guitar!

3. LOL, I'm actually thinking about "Sick of You" for his first song. Either that or Type O's "Black #1"

I figure if he gives up, I'll just buy back all the stuff he's getting. He's buying my old practice amp off me, and I'm pointing him in the way of Essex BG-80 for his first bass. If he doesn't like bass, I'll buy the bass and amp back from him... at used prices of course. :p

4. Thanks for the link Jazzbo. I've got my work cut out for me. Half the stuff you mentioned in that link I have limited knowledge of at best. I knew it at one point, but it's been a while since I actually used it myself. Looks like its time to brush up some old knowledge huh?

I don't want to churn out a Tab reliant, root note bashing, never uses the D or G strings, Theory retarded, dime a dozen bassist. But as I'm only an amatuer, I don't expect him to be the next Jaco.

I know I'll introduce Tabs into the curriculum, because I know that it will be easier for him. I also plan on teaching him how to read music. My sight reading is very slow, but I don't ever use it either. I'll let him decide which route to take.

I'm not getting paid for this either, so basically I'll write down a list of topics and let him pick and choose what he wants to learn. If he doesn't want to learn scales, I won't stress teaching them.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Sometimes people don't necessarily want to do something, and may demonstrate some resistance; but, sometimes it's exactly those things that we don't want to do that prove the most valuable.

6. Always teach your lessons in your Gwar Costume!

Goodluck with the undertaking...

-Dave

7. Hah, and I can do that too, now that my Beefcake costume is finished!

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    IMHO this looks like a very good opportunity for you to brush up on your skills also.

That way you´ll learn, the student will learn, and you´ll get paid. It´s a Win-Win-Win situation ;)

9. No, I'm doing this Pro Bono. He is one of my best friends, thats why I'm not charging him. If I end up taking on others, then I'll charge them. He is kinda a guinea pig, to see how well I can teach bass.

But I will probably learn as much as I teach. So that will be good.

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Well where are the pics, man?

11. s7on3d

s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    when I first started, I learned where the notes were on the fingerboard, how to pluck correctly, then my teacher got me started on some techincal exercises going up and the fingerboard (1st fret on the E string, then the 2nd, the 3rd, and 4th. Then move down to the A string...D string...and finally return upwards and backwards; 4321 on G, 4321 on D... then move down a fret and do it all again). Then I moved on to the major and minor scales, and some basic blues.

Good luck man,
    Ilan

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Teaching him is hard to do. My tuba instructor told me there are 5 steps to knowing how to do something.

1. you don't know it
    2. you work on it
    3. you do it
    4. you understand how and why you can do it
    5. last, you can teach it to someone else who doesn't know how to do it

So I think that you should just teach him from the beginning. What was the first thing you learned? Then go from there and take him through the steps you took. And only teach what you know. Like it was already said in this thread, this is a great opportunity for you to learn some new stuff and brush up on the old stuff.

Nick

13. I would think that the first step would be to send him here.

14. I'll certainly have him register at Talkbass.

As soon as the film get developed, I'll post some. I can e-mail you some webcam shots when I get home if ya want em.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    There is a kid on campus who wants me to teach him bass, but I keep telling him he should get a REAL teacher. But his argument... "But I just wanna be in a punk band" :rolleyes:

16. HAHAHA thats just about the funniest thing ive heard all week.