I've got an audition today an I could really use some great tips on auditioning

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Dec 14, 2000.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've got a really important audition today, its not my first by any means but I could really use some tips on auditioning with a band anyway(you can never have to much advice). All advice is appreciated. Thanx.
  2. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    You audition them. Know what style of music you want to play, know whether you want to do covers or originals or both, know what your short and long term goals in a band are, and then make sure that the band matches you on those requirements. oh yeah....and play good too.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Arrive on time. Don't make them wait. Have your gear in working order. Have extra strings in case one breaks. Get tuned up right away. Ask them how they want the audition to go. Do they want to jam and have you play along or do they want you to play some solo pieces (unusual with a bassist, but you never know)?

Don't be afraid to ask the key or ask for a chart if they are jamming to original music you don't know, but prepared for the fact that they may have neither a chart nor any idea what key the song is in or even what a key is. As it is an audition, don't trot out all your superior knowledge of theory, etc. It is better to let them show you how much THEY know and they will like you better.

Don't be afraid to ask questions such as how often and how long does the band rehearse, how often does it gig, are the gigs paid, does the band tour or just play locally, why did the last bass player leave, what do they want from their bassist...a Billy Sheehan type, a Cliff Burton type or a solid, bass player, but not a soloist, etc.

Very best wishes to you. I hope you really like the band and fit in well. You've already shown initiative and motivation by asking for advice on auditioning. That's a darned good sign already.

Jason Oldsted
  4. Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    HELP I've been called Back for a second Audition but I've not been given anything to learn.

Should I just practise the stuff I was given to learn the First time round Till I know it back to front or what?

I Really want to be in this band but I don't want to blow it at this stage.

Any Advice thats not already been given here would be really appreciated!!

:eek: :confused: :eek:
  5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I think you should work on what you were given the first time around.

Here's a tip you could have used for the first time:

Record the session with them, that's if they say it's okay to record. If you had done that, you could review everthing that went on in the session.
  6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Great Idea! I try to record all gigs and practices and it really helps!