1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I've got an idea for a lousy player (me) to make money

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by russosborne, May 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I'm almost serious.

I am out of work, and not having any luck finding a new job.

So I was thinking of other ways to make money. Being a bass player (kind of) I first thought of playing and asking for money on a street corner (we have people on almost every corner here begging).

Then I had a better idea. I would play and have a sign out saying "I will stop playing for money".

Russ

Gaolee, NigelD, wideload and 5 others like this.
  2. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    Croatian singer Thompson got paid 500.000 EUR not to sing during election campaign few years ago ;-)

3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Pay me to stop playing bass? .... Nope! Doesn't work for me .. I must be too good. ;)

4. I did that once at a club meeting a where I belonged. I was discussing a matter and admittedly was being long winded. Someone in the back stood up and asked what it would take to shut me up. I took off my hat and handed it to the guy in the first row. "As long as the hat keeps moving and money keeps falling into it, I'll keep quiet."
    $35 bucks later the hat finally stopped. And to be a good sport, so did I. The money when into the club general fund. From then on, it became a running gag, that whenever I got up to speak, I'd give up my hat to the front row.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    McG likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thayer wouldn't be a ham radio club would it? :D

6. Yup!
    What gave it away?
    Only raised $35?

Story about how cheap hams are...
    Ham was at a flea market.
    A guy offered him a five dollar bill for the price of just three dollars.
    Ham says, "Thanks but I think I'll shop around for a better deal."

two fingers likes this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I've been to some of our local meetings. I recognized pretty much every part of that story. :roflmao:

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  8. That's funny.
    Sounds like most people back when I was active on a Ham forum.
    I have my license, was one of those bucket list items, but my idea of Ham involves lots and lots of tubes. Maybe someday.
    Speaking of, I need to get my address changed with the FCC so I can renew here in the next year or two, whenever it is.
    Russ