I've got ATK!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Oct 29, 2003.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I would have never thought I would actually be an Ibanez owner, especially since my last purchase was a Status Empathy. But you know, if I plan on teaching the art of bass, most beginners may be too confused with my playing a 5, so I got this. (Yes, it was Brendan's and xcental's.)

It's an Ibanez ATK 300 with a koa top and alder back. The picture is borrowed, but it's the same bass. Going from graphite neck to maple is QUITE a jump, I sure didn't miss dead spots, I can tell you that. But I also realized that for really authentic BEEF, wood is good. And just to throw in some analogy, going from my Status to the ATK is like driving a Jaguar, then stepping into a Toyota. Not all the bells and whistles and quite a bit less balls, but still a satisfying ride.
    After an intonation and some fret edging, not to mention a bit of electronics cleaner, this kitten PURS. I have had stingrays and they sound nice, but this is a little more down to earth. It doesn't have the rolling, crispy, high end snarl that the 'Rays have and I like that. It gets a nice soulful punch that isn't too natural for the graphite, so I must say, I am pleased.

If you are a 4 stringer and are looking for a good bass with a killer price, the ATK is a great way to go. Take it from a gear snob. With minimal effort and money, it can be a sweet piece.

2. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Oops.. I stupid.

3. Sweet!! One of these Koa topped ATK 300s is a bass I am looking for. It is probably the only 4 banger I would buy.

Geoff

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Hmm...for some crazy reason, that thing looks familiar. Hope your enjoying it. I miss her.

~Patrick

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    You bought a hell of a bass. I traded my ATK away a couple months ago and, though, I'm quite happy with the trade, I miss the hell out of that ATK.

6. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Played it at practice last night. For a 4 banger, it's pretty good. SO LIGHT!
    I still need to do some filing on the frets, I'm so used to my graphite necked basses with perfect frets that the sharper-edged playing is a bit uncomfy. Also, the dead spot is GLARING, but that's to be expected.
    Other than that, tone for days. I will stand by the story that the sound isn't any more than "Stingray-ish". It's a simple bass with a great tone for slap or rock or jazz or soul or whatever. It's what I wanted and I like it. I'd get a 5 if it wasn't so narrow spaced.

7. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Just got a new camera, wanted to post a pic. This camera RULES!

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yay! ATK-owners unite!

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Actually... Thats an ATK500 according to an old Ibanez Catalog.

10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I love the ATK´s (Except the 100 Series) I had one In black, and I removed the finish and pickguard.. I have an old pic to show.

The wood beneath the black finish was so beutifull I couldnt believe it.

I also REVERSED the pickup, it gave me a nicer single coil tone.
    At least thats what I remember, I sold it about 3 years ago, and I do miss it.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Has anyone tried/seen the ATK400 that comes with a neck pickup?

12. I've tried the 400 and 405, theyre very nice mid range basses. The tone is like a Sterling with a different twist(seeing as the 400's have an ash body)and with the neck J pickup you can cop Lakland-y tones. The neck feels really nice, and the fit and finish of the bass is high. I can recommend one to anybody, although I don't think they sell them in the States?