Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've got ATK!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Oct 29, 2003.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I would have never thought I would actually be an Ibanez owner, especially since my last purchase was a Status Empathy. But you know, if I plan on teaching the art of bass, most beginners may be too confused with my playing a 5, so I got this. (Yes, it was Brendan's and xcental's.)

It's an Ibanez ATK 300 with a koa top and alder back. The picture is borrowed, but it's the same bass. Going from graphite neck to maple is QUITE a jump, I sure didn't miss dead spots, I can tell you that. But I also realized that for really authentic BEEF, wood is good. And just to throw in some analogy, going from my Status to the ATK is like driving a Jaguar, then stepping into a Toyota. Not all the bells and whistles and quite a bit less balls, but still a satisfying ride.
    After an intonation and some fret edging, not to mention a bit of electronics cleaner, this kitten PURS. I have had stingrays and they sound nice, but this is a little more down to earth. It doesn't have the rolling, crispy, high end snarl that the 'Rays have and I like that. It gets a nice soulful punch that isn't too natural for the graphite, so I must say, I am pleased.

If you are a 4 stringer and are looking for a good bass with a killer price, the ATK is a great way to go. Take it from a gear snob. With minimal effort and money, it can be a sweet piece.

2. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Oops.. I stupid.

3. Sweet!! One of these Koa topped ATK 300s is a bass I am looking for. It is probably the only 4 banger I would buy.

Geoff

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Hmm...for some crazy reason, that thing looks familiar. Hope your enjoying it. I miss her.

~Patrick

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    You bought a hell of a bass. I traded my ATK away a couple months ago and, though, I'm quite happy with the trade, I miss the hell out of that ATK.

6. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Played it at practice last night. For a 4 banger, it's pretty good. SO LIGHT!
    I still need to do some filing on the frets, I'm so used to my graphite necked basses with perfect frets that the sharper-edged playing is a bit uncomfy. Also, the dead spot is GLARING, but that's to be expected.
    Other than that, tone for days. I will stand by the story that the sound isn't any more than "Stingray-ish". It's a simple bass with a great tone for slap or rock or jazz or soul or whatever. It's what I wanted and I like it. I'd get a 5 if it wasn't so narrow spaced.

7. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Just got a new camera, wanted to post a pic. This camera RULES!

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yay! ATK-owners unite!

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Actually... Thats an ATK500 according to an old Ibanez Catalog.

10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I love the ATK´s (Except the 100 Series) I had one In black, and I removed the finish and pickguard.. I have an old pic to show.

The wood beneath the black finish was so beutifull I couldnt believe it.

I also REVERSED the pickup, it gave me a nicer single coil tone.
    At least thats what I remember, I sold it about 3 years ago, and I do miss it.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Has anyone tried/seen the ATK400 that comes with a neck pickup?

12. I've tried the 400 and 405, theyre very nice mid range basses. The tone is like a Sterling with a different twist(seeing as the 400's have an ash body)and with the neck J pickup you can cop Lakland-y tones. The neck feels really nice, and the fit and finish of the bass is high. I can recommend one to anybody, although I don't think they sell them in the States?