Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ive got blisters on my fingers!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Razgard, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Razgard

Razgard

Mar 28, 2001
    Beaumont Texas
    Ive been playing for around 4 months now, and
    I know its hopeless, and i probably have to wait, but both my hands are blistered to a point where i can't play anymore.
    Ive tried tape, but it just slows my playing, and after a while my fingers still start to hurt bad.

Any remedies for curing these little demons? (i dont have time to heal, must play.. must play all day.. must)

2. your zeal is admirable, but slow down, don't play as much until you build calluses. also try using a lighter touch.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Play soft, and play less :(
    Yeah, I know, that hurts just as much, but it is the only way.
    And when you are healed, don't play all day! Less than one hour,then an hour off, then back - thats much better for your body AND your music. :)
    (Never less than 15 minutes a day, though...I managed that even with badly burned left hand fingertips - even I;) )

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yes, there is a remedy. Put some super glue on the places where it's really tender. I'm certainly not the only bassist who knows about it...haven't had to use it, except for once when I got a metal cut in the tip of a finger).

It was originally developed as a replacement for surgery stitches, before folks discovered it was dandy for home repairs.

And it doesn't get tacky/sticky.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Raz, Since you have just been playing for a few months I'll bet you are neglecting to study your theory.

I started learning to read standard notation a few months ago and I've found that I spend at least as much time studying as I do actually practicing.

Since you have injured yourself, it may be a good time to let your theory skills catch up with your playing skills.

As far as playing through pain, if you don't have to do it, don't!

You are suffering through the first part of dealing with blisters. The second part is almost like a deep bruise that takes a lot longer to heal than the blisters if you keep playing with blistered fingers.

I discoverd by accident that the nylon shower gloves that are made from a terry cloth sort of material are thin enough to use on your fretting hand without losing "feel" for the strings under your fingers.

A side benefit is that it's almost like playing with a bottleneck. The slides that you can get are fantastic, especially with flatwounds.

Now may be a good time to become aquainted with the pick. I don't like playing with a pick but I still want that skill in my arsenal. It doesn't hurt anything to know how to use a pick even though you may not have an immediate need for it.

Good luck, and you have my sympathy.

Pkr2