I've got double jointed fingers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Guss, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Up until when I started playing bass, I always thought my double jointed fingers were cool. I can bend them into unbelievable positions that are really fun to show people.
    But because they are unstable, it can sometimes hurt my playing. I'm talking about my pinky. It just hangs down there, all curled up in its own little world. I have to pop it up ahead of time if I want to use it.
    The other fingers are kinda cool though. When I bar an entire fret, I can lift part of the finger up, while keeping the other parts down. You can do some cool stuff.:)
    Anyway, is their any thing to help out with the fingers, like a device or some creative thing somebody has thought of?
  2. Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    don't know if this'll work... but it's worth a shot i suppose-- my fingers are similiar (although im not sure to the same extent)- I used to do this with a few fingers when playing double bass... haven't done it much with BG though... take medical tape and *loosely* tape your finger(s) [individually, ofcourse :eek: ] ... enough so you can still bend it a little- *don't do this all the time though... works better when your fingers are tired/sore... or occ. when you're practicing to sort of "remind" yourself
    --i've found this works well for when you break a finger or mess up a joint and still want/need to play...
    --like i said, don't know if it'll really work for you, but, eh, it's an idea...

edit(s): "opps"
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Screw help! I want to see pictures!
    well, If I see pictures of what your talking about I can probably give you better advice, My pinky is double jointed, and so is my thumb, its never hindered my playing, but it did used to curl up sometimes, but I trained it not to. I don't know if my situation is the same as yours, so the only solution is pictures! plus I want to see cool finger gymnastics.
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm with wrong, got double jointed pinkys and thumbs. i have to SNAP out my pinky if i ever want to use it, of just have it hang out and do the work of the 3rd finger. it SUCKS.
  5. Might post pics. If I can get to a camera.
    I can do this thing where I take my index and ring fingers, and postition them outside of my thumb. I'll then make a fist. It looks like I have two fingers attached to the side of my hand, just sitting there. Pretty cool.:)
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    so what? i have double jointed fingers on all of the fingers on my hand.. i can still play bass and u see how i play? haha its a joke :)

but I have double jointed fingers and it doesn't really affect my playing

At least you don't have TINY TINY hands + double jointed fingers

7. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Double joints can be a real drag!
    I have only a few -the Jaco thumbs and in my 3rd finger. There are ways around this problem though -look for a teacher of "The Alexander Technique" and they can really help you out. You have to get really aware of how you are using your hands, and learn some new habits. Often the hands are just the last thing in a chain of parts -back, legs, wrists that might not be working to their optimum.

One advantage of the double-jointed thumb, though, is it's easier to do Alain Caron's double thumbing slap technique. . .