1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I've got gigs in Thailand......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Petebass, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    ...... over the X-mas 06 and New Year. 3 gigs over one week should leave plenty of time for sight seeing. And the Girlfriend gets to come too. YAY!

I have so many questions......Do we have any Thai TB members who'd like to get together for a beer? Has anyone else travelled in Thailand? Apart from the drug laws, is there anything else I should know about travelling there? Do's and Don’ts, must sees and must avoids? And I heard something about protests and civil unrest in Bangkok recently. What exactly is the situation and should I be worried?

2. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Latimour went there.

I think he only needed 1 month of antibiotics for the drip, ask
    him where he went AND DON'T GO to those places.

That new band is working out pretty well I'd say!

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I though he went to Vietnam & Burma, unless we're talking about different trips? Mark?

4. Thor

Maybe it was Burma. I think Thailand is probably a lot more civilized. :D

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I only did a two day stopover in Thailand on the way through Burma and Vietnam.

I think Thailand is one of those countries that has everything to offer depending on what you want. There is the beautiful beaches and resorts in the south, the jungles, trecking and temples etc in the north and then there's Bangkok which is a very typical busy Asian city.

If you are a first timer to Bangkok you almost certainly have to go and party in Khao San Road which is like backpacker / traveller heaven (nightclubs, shops etc) and then its really up to you. I like to "adventure" travel so the north would be my thing, but if you wanna chill on the beach then the south is the way to go.

You might want to hook up with a tour. Try www.intrepid.com they are apparently some of the best.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Dude... you're on the train to Bangkok!

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Petey - the beaches are great in Thailand but don't miss out on the mountain jungles! Take a trip up to Chiang Mai. It's gorgeous. Go on a trek in the jungle. Visit the night market.

bc

8. :D

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Let me sum up some Thailand towns for you:

Sodom and Gomorrah.

Leave the GF at home :smug:

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I leave in 2 days, so BUMP! Anyone got anything to add?

11. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I did 5 days in Bangkok with my girlfriend at the time... don't worry about the little guys following you around, their just pimps...

then 4 days in Phuket... party party, just don't sleep with any of the really pretty things because they're dudes...

Then went and spent 2 weeks on the beach on Koh Peh Peh... if u can go there... it was half washed away after the tsunami and they need the support and man, it is absolute absolute paradise!!!!

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Have fun and stay out of trouble! Having never been there I can offer little advice on it, but good clean fun is attainable the world over.

Well, maybe not at the North Pole, but all the same.

13. Something you'd care to share with us??? :meh:

14. 1. don't take your girlfriend, it's like taking a sandwich to a banquet
    2. no matter what, always wear a condom (even on stage)
    3. be polite, wear nice clothes, always show respect to the temples, statues of buddha and above all the king
    4. write and tell us about it.
    tim

15. It was funny in thailand when i was walking with my dad past a bar and a hooker was calling me in.

you're an adult, and im just 14 and that happened to me, so always wear a condom

16. THAT was funny!!! :D

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm back! Great country! Great holiday! Not even the NYE bomb blasts could spoil things. Did that make international news? I know it did in Australia by the amount of phone calls I recieved while over there from worried friends and relatives. As it turned out we were thankfully no-where near any of the bomb blasts and picked up right where we left off the next day.

18. Thor

Yeah Pete, it made the news here, and I was pretty
    worried about ya. Glad to hear you are home safe and sound!

I'll email when I get a few mins, I'm kinda swamped, but
    thanks for checking in!!!