I've got me a band now!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Brendan, Aug 23, 2000.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok...this thing WAS ancient, but I now have to update it cause ya'll brought it back up...

Me- Bass, occasional singer, primary songwriter (should I take the blame for that or not?)

Josh- Guitar, heavy as all heck, he is one half of the rockers in my band (i.e. me and him)

Matt- primary singer, lead guitar, this guy is half the punk side of the band. He is absolutly astounding on guitar.

Alex- Drummer. Other punker. Great drummer. Only been palying two years, but he can successfully do the drum solo from Led Zep's "Moby Dick" is that means anything. Really talented.

We're Static Reaction. Look for us oh....in the future I guess...
  2. dude i play bass sing and write songs too. except were a punk band these are the other guys in my band

craig- hes the guitarist thats actually good. he knows so many ways to use three chords in a song its unbeliveable

dirk- hes the guitarist thats not that good, hes funny and kind of stupid though so we keep him

patrick- probably the best in the band. hes got so many cymbols you need both hands to count em

matt- funny guy with absolutly no talent. he just hangs around on stage and dances funny
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Congrats on pulling it back together, Brendan.

Oh, we're giving our band line-ups? OK.

Erin - Lead vocals. Cord winder. Sound man apprentice. Obviously, does all the girl songs. Bonnie Raitt, Shania, Tracey Chapman, Wynona, Trisha, Faith, Martina. Did I mention she is good? REAL GOOD. Memorizes all songs within a week of assignment. NEVER uses cheat sheets.

Scot - Lead vocals, backup vocals and acoustic guitar. Does all the high-pitched stuff, John Fogerty, Hal Ketcham, Dwight Yoakam, what-have-you. We can sound exactly like Creedence if we have to.

Br'er Paul - Rhythm and acoustic guitars. He's the guy that Mark Knopfler sings about in "The Sultans of Swing." You know, "doesn't wanna make it sing and cry" or something like that. Lead and backup vocals (ballads ... you know, Clint Black, John Michael Montgomery, George Strait).

Brad - Lead guitar. Lead and backup vocals (all the Stones stuff and blues, plus the ubiquitous "Johnny B. Goode"). Brad's style has a hint of 50's in it, only he can REALLY play.

Mike - Drummer. Drums. Drums well. He's not a loud drummer ... uses those pencil-thin sticks. I bought him a pair of telephone poles early in the game. He laughed, put 'em in his bag, and they haven't seen daylight since. It's a good thing we have plenty of channels to mic the drums. Never speeds up, knows all the licks.

Munjibunga - Five-string fretted and fretless electric bass guitars. Backup vocals. Sound man when the sound man can't make it. Chord fixer. Dynamics pointer-outer. Groover. Assistant snake winder.

Derwin - Sound man. Plays bass in at least two other bands (one Hawaiian, one classic rock). Loads and unloads gear. Snake winder. Owns rehearsal space (his carpeted garage). Soon to stand in on songs that I play mandolin in.

Well, that just about wraps it up.

4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Angus, I'm not the primary singer, I only sing about one out of every six songs, so I'm not up there much. Name dropping? No, I'm trying to show them the picture, without having one there for them to see. And, I resemble them by looking a bit like all of them.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    not really. Right now we only have these slower sappy songs we were playing to hook the drummer into full time, so our sound isn't fully developed yet. Ask again in about 2-3 months, and I'll be able to give you some better stuff. And it's WA state.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Southern, columbia gorge...
  7. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I also try to write songs, albiet unsuccessfully about 90% of the time - one has made it into the set, with about four waiting to be perfected (?!?). Our line up is...

Dave - Vocals, temper tamtrums, conspiracy theories, songwriting, silly dances in the middle of guitar solos.

The Other Dave - Lead guitar, bad jokes, fixing mike stands.

Paul - Rhythm guitar (apparently), off-key vocals, contributing one song, laziness, and alcohol abuse.

Tom - Drums, moaning about everything, ****ing up.

Me - Bass, yawning, nice hot cups of tea, vocals of such breathtaking awfulness that they can never be heard by human ears ever again (ditto jokes).
  8. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    Let me thing of names:
    The Diggers
    The one-percenters
    The Jokers
    Electrical Mayhem
    String Mayhem
    Train Wreck
    there should be a site that genderates band names
    Funky Bus
    Blues Ball
    Curiously Strong

try thinking of names that use oglets or omlets (the dots above "O" in names such as Motorhead, can't remember name)
  9. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I knew someone once who told me he was forming a band called The Foreskins. I found that pretty funny at the time (I was about 13, mind)
  10. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    If you really want some excellent band names, start reading Dave Barry's humour column. =)

Hmm. Most of us are sharing band line-ups... does that mean I have to, as well? =) Sure, why not. I'll share my rock/metal band with y'all.

Rhymes With Puck...

Me -- The bass player! Actually, I'm the NEW bass player. The old one was a dead-beat who never showed up for practices, and I was a friend of the band... My style can best be described as "non-existant". =)

Noah -- Lead Guitars / some vocals / songwriting. Holy crap, this guy rocks my world. Could be the next Jimi Hendrix or something if he really keeps up his chops after high school.

David -- Rhythmn Guitar / songwriting. A real solid player and a great guy. Not as good as Noah, though. Natch.

James -- Drums! This guy always kills me. He's been playing little more than a year, and he's already a killer drummer. Just one of those naturals, I guess. I also play with him in my other two gigs, which are both more jazz oriented -- he's got the solid time and the power for both jazz and hard-up rock/metal.

Justin -- The Trumpet player. Basically, we keep him around for ska songs. Beer is the one he usually ends up playing with us.
  11. Dr_Pepper

Nov 25, 2000
    There's absolutely nothing like a highly offensive band name for a band. Especially if you're in a punk band. Cos the moral majority, who are the people who want to restrict freedom and bring everything back to puritan family values etc will usually be offended with most things. The dead kennedys, sex pistols, there's loads of em. They'll jump to the conclussion that these bands are satanists and a moral crusade must be led against them.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Oldies band - Vinny and the Jets

Vinny - lead vocals, 5 1/2 octave vocal range and enough ego for 12 octaves.
    David - Guitars, backup vocals, teaching keyboard to Vinny's son every time we learn a new song:rolleyes:
    Jessie - Drums, David's brother, backup vocals, most talented drummer I have ever played with.
    Jeff(Me:p) - Bass, backup vocals, cornball jokes.
    Stephanie - backup vocals, Vinny's hot daughter:eek:, sings lead on a couple of songs and shakes her booty to the delight of the crowd on the rest of the songs.
    Vinny Jr - keyboard, painstakingly learned only at practice when taught by David, backup vocals.

Despite the dysfunctionalness of our union, Vinny, David, Jessie and Jeff are the best oldies band that I have ever heard.

Of course, I could be a little biased. Naw. ;)
  13. feel_the_rage

Sep 12, 2000
    Here's my band:

Me: Bass, the hardcore one, Mr. knows too much about music, loves Project 86, Metallica, and Green Day. Enjoys Christian Death Metal like Living Sacrifice. Musical influences: Cliff Burton

Kyle: Lead Guitar, artistic leader of the band, talented one, likes Creed.

David: Drummer, scheduling leader, he likes Creed too.

Gabe: the big funny singing Jew, his somewhat dark improv lyrics have not pleased our drummer's sister, however. Knows most about music besiders me.
  14. ok my mix of hardcore, metal and everything else band...

CHRIS (me), bass of course, been playing for like 3 years been in about 10 bands and loves hardcore and metal. loves deftones, mudvayne, and naything really influences are flea, les claypool, dirk lance, geedy lee, cliff burton and many more

TJ, guitarist and vocalist, he is great and makes are band complete. he's been playing for about 4 years and i self taught. he can play every matallica song and knows alot of southeren rock.

Kurt, drummer, the best drummer i know he loves to play anything by neil put and has a huge drum set, he has like 8 toms and this moment but he getting more he aslo has like 12 cymbals and alot more ****.

Tony, guitarist, never shows up on time always screws up and like to not pay attention. he also like to steal riffs from other people. why we keep him we don't know.

we are hoping to replace tony and get this kid alan whos is great and has good equipment and we might get this kid brandon to sing for us!! after that are band should be complete so we only need a name!!
  15. as most of you should know by now, i dont play bass ina band anymore. but i do play guitar in a couple of bands.....

Jake(me) - Guitar/Vocals - in this band i play more rhythmic grunge kinda stuff. ive got that whiny rocker kinda vocals though. what describes me as a guitarist/vocalist is like a mix of Tom Delonge/Daniel Johns/Kurt Cobain

Richard - Bass - Richard is a good friend of mine whom ive known forever. He played drums in my old band with me on bass. he also plays drums in the other band im in. Soon he will be a TB member (im tryin to talk him into it). hes a real goof and jokes around a lot.

Glenn - drums - as irony would have it, his older brother played lead guitar in the band with me on bass and richard on drums. glenn is a youngin (hes like in 6th grade) but he knows what hes doin. whenever i tell him jokes about drummers he never understand them....

the other band (i dont know we have a name yet or not, i just joined)

Jake(me) - Lead guitar - imagine a crappy lead guitarist playing lead guitar in a band and I should come to mind. im good at rhythm stuff but i kinda suck at lead. but hey there is always room to learn....

Justin - Lead Vocals/Rhythm guitar - Has good vocals but is still learning guitar. he'll be good after a lot of practicing though. he jokes around alot.

Morgan - Bass - well, i dont really know what to say about morgan. ive known him forever but we barely ever talk. he seems to think squiers are the best ever basses and the zoom 506 is the best ever pedal.

Richard - Drums - plays bass in my other band (Wafflehead), he goofs around and jokes alot. he has long hair. hes actually a lot smarter than i am (but he also plays bass so that makes it ok).

sorry i dont play in a band with me on bass yet. as soon as i will i can tell you tha goofy lineup.
  16. scoat3

Mar 20, 2001
    I am thinking of coming up with a bamd

Me- bass (I'm OK I just started last year but I made
    jazz band

Steven- he thinks he's going to play drums, but he says that he doesn't have good hand-eye cordination

William- he'll be lead guitar he's also in jazz band

Mason- he'll be rythem guitar or even volcalist

I have one question about this site. How can I send tabs in?
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This is OLD!!! Wonder why ya'll brought it up... oh well. I'll update my roster here in a bit...
  18. my current line up is ummmmm.......me, in my room with my amp, and various guitar players that i jam with from time to time(almost every weekend)

19. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Me - Bass/Vocals
    Bobbo - Vocals
    Andrew - Geetarz
    Kev - Drums

We've played together for almost a year now. We're still writing songs.

List of covers we can do:

Deftones - My own Summer
    Deftones - Bored
    Deftones - 7 Words
    Deftones - Engine No.9
    Queen - Bohemian Rapsody
    Weezer - Say it aint so
    System of a Down - Spiders
    System of a Down - Sugar
    System of a Down - Peephole
    Chevelle - SMA
    Chevelle - Mia