I've got NOS tube goodies in my Sunn!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Mar 24, 2005.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    So I popped open the back of my Sunn just to see what tubes were in there because I was bored. I'd never checked before because it sounded so good, I didn't wanna question what was in there. But I was bored, so I popped the back off and pulled them out. Wow! First surprise was a pair of RCA 6550s, which usually go for quite a bit on eBay. :cool: Then I popped out the phase inverter. A mullard 6an8! Holy shiza! :hyper: Those are supposed to be like the holy grail! I then checked the 12AX7a, which happened to be an Amperex, another nice find. :smug: Then in the reverb slot, a Fender :)rolleyes: ) Groove Tubes 12AX7! :spit: IIRC, there's supposed to be a 12AT7 or 12AU7 there, so I figured that's why the reverb was always distorted and howling. So I replace it with an EH 12AT7. There was less noise & howling, but it was still present. Maybe i'll try a 12AU7 when I get some spare change. I've heard the reverb ain't the best on these amps, even though the tremolo is excellent. It's ok though, the reverb channel is great for when I wanna screw around with microphonic feedback and getting my signature "elephants humping" sounds, as well as divebombers, bombs exploding, sirens screeching, etc. just tons of freakin noise. :bassist: It's alot of fun. :cool:

Still, to find tubes in it that are worth more than what you payed for the head is quite cool in my book. :smug: I feel as though I ripped speddling (James Hart) off, even though he bought it for half what I payed him for it. :eyebrow:
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Isn't that Mullard being wasted as a phase inverter I may be very wrong, but I always thought that that was a place where tube type didn't color the sound that much.

3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very nice! I've been getting bitten by the tube bug lately as well.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

It's such an oddball type, where else would you put it? As far as inverter coloration, it depends a lot on the inverter/driver design and how hard you drive the power amp.

Ox: that Fender/GT tube might be a nice US production one, if it's new enough.
  5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    So if we made a digital "room" simulation of your reverb channel, you'd call it "London, 1942"?
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I knew what was in it.... nothing NOS about it ;)

just old. The GT was to replace a mullard that was glowing like the day star (I think it's around here somewhere) I stuck it in the reverb slot to fill the hole left when I moved the Amperex to the pre.

Glad you dig it! It hurt me to see it unused
  7. Nine smillies are boring....old tubes are not
  8. Ohh....How can they be NOS if they are already in your amp?....wouldn't that be "UOS"...used old stock?
  9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Lol yeah I guess, but I just call them NOS anyways.:smug:
  10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If I had room in my sig, i'd put it in. :D

Ah hell, i'll put it in my HCBF sig. :hyper:
  11. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Ya know, as i think about it, have ya looked at the electrolytic caps on this puppy??

I have a vintage fender spring reverb unit. When I first got it, there were lots of sonic issues. It would play fine for a few minutes then... die... I looked inside, and all of the caps were the stock, 40+ years-old, oil and paper caps. I replaced them with as close to the current values as I could, and it sounds amazing.

Might check that out... Electrolytic caps, even new ones, dry out eventually.
  12. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Aces HIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :bassist: