I've got Terrible Bassman 300/Sunn 300T Gas. is it for Me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrSuperstar, Dec 29, 2007.

1. MrSuperstar

MrSuperstar Now Full of Supporting Goodness

May 8, 2007
    Boons Camp, KY
    So I basically have a horrible desire to try one of these monsters out. I've yet been able to talk myself into a blind buying of one, as I've yet to actually see if the tone it produces would be one that is usable for me. What works for you, may not work for me, and vice versa.

But with every Fender Bass Amp "Dealership" I've yet to find anything more than the Rumble 100, and, at best, the Bassman with 2x10 or 1x15.

Anyone know of a location within 300 miles of Eastern Kentucky (Paintsville, Pikeville, Ashland) with these available and able to hook up and play? And preferably something to do in the town/city? And it'd be good to go to any historical sites, as I can take the girlfriend and not feel as guilty of making her sit inside of a bass/music shop for possibly 2 hours or more.

Thanks for any help and detective work.

Anthony

2. Pikasoll

Pikasoll

Nov 23, 2007
    Norway
    It`s really a great amp. I got two aguilar gs410, and still, the amp is so powerfull that the cabs can fart when droven to much. Seriously, this thing has a great sound, loads of futures and can play loud if you want it too.

3. My Bassman 300 is by far the BEST amp I've ever owned. Ton of clean headroom and low end..

4. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Too far away to be of help to you but the local Guitar Center has had one for a very long time. I keep trying it out and enjoy the sound but the pricetag, along with some negative comments I've heard put me off.

5. Pikasoll

Pikasoll

Nov 23, 2007
    Norway
    what negative comments?

6. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I don't recall specifics just that they were not generally well thought of by the tube enthusiast. Me I wouldn't know. The one I played thru sounded pretty good but seemed awful expensive. Because I'm a a simpleton, I got to admit that I found the controls rather intimidating.

7. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    I've had tube amps for 42 years.My Bassman 300 is the king of all I've ever had.I don't know if this will help or not but I believe the Bass player for the Gin Blossoms plays the 300 and the 810 pro cab.I've never heard a negative comment about the amp myself other than it's heavy.It's worth the weight.

8. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    "Sorry son but we don't stock that. I can place an order for you and it will
    arrive by rail from Chicago in two weeks."

It's a pain when your local music stores don't carry the flag ship models of the
    gear you really want to look at. Don't feel bad both of the super Fender dealers
    in my neck of the woods don't have the Bassman 300 either to test out. It's
    just the Rumble series and the smaller Bassman combos. I myself would like to
    try one out for grins and giggles as I'm interested in going back to a tube head.

9. Is it possible any of you guys have been able to compare it to The reeves 225?
    Thank You

10. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    If you buy it online, the major online stores have a 30-day or 45-day return policy. You can buy it and try it out. If it isn't what you really want, you can send it back for a refund. People on the mainland USA get free shipping or cheap ground shipping from these guys. At most it would cost you the return ground shipping if you didn't like it.

11. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Serves me right for telling tales out of school. Like I said, I liked what I heard but am hardly an expert.

I didn't realize Fender still made these. Aren't they based on the Sunn amps or have I got things fouled up yet again.

12. MrSuperstar

MrSuperstar Now Full of Supporting Goodness

May 8, 2007
    Boons Camp, KY
    anywhere in the cities of Cincinnati, Columbus, Louisville, Lexington KY, Charleston WV, or somewhere else may have one on the floor to try?

13. That amp takes quite a while (and I mean a good couple of days to weeks) to really start understanding how the tone controls interact... on the plus side though, it sounds great when you just plug in and everything is set flat, so no worries :)

you can get a wide variety of tones out of that amp once you know what you are doing and it is ungodly loud! it also weighs a ton, still lighter than an SVT I believe, but it is still a big beast!

I think most tube guys don't rage about this head because it stays pretty clean, so it doesn't sound super tubey when you first try it... (unless it is ridiculously loud!)

The trick is to learn how to play the gain and master volume knobs to get the sound you want at the volume you want. Use more gain and less master volume gets you a cleaner more SS sound, while if you use less gain (preamp) and more master volume (power tubes) you get a more tubey tone (all IMO of course) - by learning how these two controls interact, you can get a cleaner or more tubey sound at both low and high volumes...

Just one thing to remember, this amp has ALOT of low end and can easily damage speakers if you are not careful. The split band compressor does a good job of taming that, but still, just don't go boosting the low end too much or you will kill speakers!

14. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I don't know... the second channel breaks up phenomenally. Actually, I find it breaks up far more easily & with more drive than any other amp I've used!

The first channel is nice & clean - absolutely.

I'm a pretty die-hard tube devotee & the 300 is my primary stage amp. I think it sounds like an SVT on steroids. Plus you get a lot more features and flexibility. (Of course I'm not dogging the SVT - it is the standard for tube bass amps!)

15. bassermaniac

bassermaniac

Jun 30, 2007
    Yea i own a bassman 300.It's a great amp,that's for sure.
    Many tonal options so don't worry.However i can't understand why it isn't a popular amp.Yes Gin blossoms bass player uses that monster and...who else?
    I mean i tested the svt-4 and it was nothing compared to the 300 pro so i believe it's unfair and stupid for fender not to promote it well.

16. yes you are completely correct, the second channel is an overdrive/distortion channel - with the blend knob lets you dial in subtle overdrive to complete crunch

What I meant is that the clean channel at first doesn't sound as tubey when compared to say an SVT or an Orange, but it can indeed do that sound very well (maybe better?) it's just a matter of knowing how to get it

17. Pikasoll

Pikasoll

Nov 23, 2007
    Norway
    It is strange that this head isn`t more popular.

18. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Well, it is a little pricey & I rarely (if ever) see one on a showroom floor.

It is a great, powerful piece of gear, however. It's totally capable of everything from crushing overdrive to huge, clean punch! I love mine. (yes, mine was endorsed, but I'd recommend it anyway....)

19. I think with the advent of the VietnAmpeg it is time for a changing of the guard.

20. Pikasoll

Pikasoll

Nov 23, 2007
    Norway
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021