1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I've got to admit... (Musicman Thread)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Apr 19, 2006.

1. In my 15 years of playing, I've never really sat down and played a Stingray. I've noodled on them a bit but nothing in depth. For some reason, the fact that it only has one pickup has turned me off to them..And, to be honest, they havent been really visually appealing to me until tonight.

I had some time to kill so I went into my local GC and sat down with a Stringray 4. Candy red with maple neck. I was REALLY suprised. First of all, its rare to find a bass at GC that is setup correctly, but this one was right on. It felt great and sounds great.. It really was a slap machine but had tons of growl with the finger funk.

I might be having a change of heart. I totally could see myself buying one with 2 pickups. I play jazz music 90% of the time so I dont know how well it'll fit in with my situation but I can certainly seeing adding one to my collection.

Just wanted to share my revelation :)

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Fits right in with Sade's music and that's really mellow :)

3. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I was in the Indianapolis store this afternoon around 3:30p and saw that same CAR stingray (if you were at the Indy store and not Ft. Wayne or the other one).

They had at least one HH Stingray 4 and one HH SR5.

They had some really good sale prices on some used gear, I walked out with yet another Stingray and a GK head.

I love Stingrays and strongly prefer the 2-bands (again, very Sade-ish).

I don't have any EB stingrays with 2-bands right now. All my EB's are 3-band and my 2-bands are pre-EB. The 2-band preamp is still available, just a lot less common. I don't know if you can get the new dual pickup SR4's with 2-band or only 3.

4. Pick up a Sterling, Bobby. There's your Jazz machine.

5. Yup.. The Indy store.. heheh small world.

I may be totally wrong, or thinking of a different bass, but I think they were asking $799 for the CAR stingray.. The Adler they had in there was pretty hot too but I felt it needed a setup bad. And the fretwork on the sides of the fretboard didn't look that great.. Maybe it was just me though.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    $799 for a CAR Stingray? I'm almost tempted to have you pick it up and send it to me! ;)

7. I may be wrong on the price. But, if Im right, might GC charge card might hate me tomorrow :)

8. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The neck pickup on a stingray HH gives an amazing palm mute thumbstyle sound that seems like it'd be perfect for jazz. I don't actually play much jazz, so I could be wrong about it fitting, but it gets a really round throbby thump. Cut the highs a little bit to get rid of any clicking. Check it out.

9. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    Is the Stingray on the Sade records fretted or fretless? and who's playing it. (Hey, this is only 'sort of' a hijack....on the topic-"get the stingray!".)

10. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Paul Denman is the bassists' name.

11. Like the previous poster said, it's Paul Denman. His main bass is a '78 Stingray... natural with a black pickguard, maple fretboard. It's a fretted.

Search for "Sade - The Sweetest Taboo" on YouTube.com. You'll see him in the background playing with the band.

He also plays for Sweetback which is the band, Sade, minus Sade Adu.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am super satisfied with the tone of my SR5 HH. I always loved Stingray 5s, and I never felt limited when I played the one pup version. That said, the extra pickup and the five position switch really open up the possibilities with this bass! With both pickups full on, the sound is basically a Stingray doubled with mega low end while still retaining that Stingray sparkle. With coils five and one (?) engaged, the sound is close to a jazz still with the Stingray sparkle.
    Coils four and five give the classic Stingray tone, plus it can also provide a nice Jaco like back pickup tone which Bernard Edwards used to get on songs like "My Feet keep Dancing" from the Chic album Risque.

The neck pickup alone is also awesome. The two pup SR5 is as versatile as any bass i have ever played.