Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've got wood...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Basschair, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    to burn.

This year we got a cord of walnut which does the trick, but I'm wondering about other types that burn nicely and heat well.

Also, how many of you have converted standard fireplaces to ones with inserts or stoves in order to heat your room/house better?

2. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    My Stepdad felt compelled to buy 2 cords of Birch. It burns nicely, and you don't need a lot of gas to get it going, since the bark is incredibly flammable. :D

AuG

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    This was soooooo predictable :p

And birch bark is indeed excellent to get yer fire goin' :cool:

4. Stocktown? As in Stockholm? Walnut seems pretty exotic to use to heat your house if you're in Scandinavia. Birch is the best!

5. Cord? I'm in Louisiana so I have never heard of such a thing.....

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oak. We have an endless supply of mesquite out on our land but it burns hot and fast.

brad cook

7. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Actually, it's Stockton...but it's pretty homie-ish here, so I just call it Stocktown.

8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

oak and mesquite here too ...

i just bought two cords of split oak , but i had half of a cord left over from last years stack ...
    and i cut about a cord of mesquite at my sister-in-law's ranch , so i'm pretty well stocked .

my wife want's a fire whenever the temp. drops below 50 degrees .
    ... i admit , it's nice to sit in front of a fire , drinking tequilla and beer :D

i installed a fireplace at our old house a few years back .
    i put in one of the blower systems , and it seemed to work pretty good ...
    a little noisey , but it really forced the warm air to circulate .

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I bought this:

[​IMG]

so far it rocks. I bought 3 tons of pellets for the winter. the stove is exactly the same, but this is not my house, it's a stock photo from the Harmon site.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What's a pellet? I mean I assume you don't mean that you're going to be doing a lot of air gun shooting this winter.

brad cook

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Don't like those small ones, even if they seem to be popular. To warm a house, you need one of those massive stone/brick ones that suck up the heat and release it for hours! Mm.. warmth for hours..

The pellets seem to be catching on around here - many people have modified their oil kettles to burn wood pellets instead, which I hear is very easy.

The beauty of pellets is, they're just compressed wood material size of large peas or so, so they can be even made out of leftover material like twigs and whatnot. Very inexpensive and not to mention nondependant on oil prices.

12. A cord of wood - IIRC a stack of 2' long logs 4' high and 10' long.

Now stop yappin' and poke up that fire! :D

13. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Yep.

AuG

14. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, but not immune, they've jumped up 60% this year compared to last. 2 of my neighbors put pellet stoves in over the past year and they both love them. My house has been running pretty effieciently and our heating costs (we have forced air oil heat) has not gone up outrageously (I got a locked in rate of $1.99 gallon for the next year) or I would be looking at getting one. We're putting a second floor on the house next spring and are planning on some sort of fireplace in the master bedroom and the jury is still out on if it's going to be pellets or LP (we don't have the option of Natural Gas in our neighborhood, and from the things I've heard of with the future of NG I'd probably stay away from it...) I'm leaning more towards pellets maily cause I don't want to have to put in a big LP tank next to my house.

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I wonder why this is. I guess supply&demand must be playing a factor.

I would speculate that smaller hurricanes and such less devastating storms actually make the price go down on pellets, as there is more wood scrap to be removed.

By the way, how much would you expect to pay for pellets in the States? I really have no idea about the costs on that side of the pond. Local prices tend to be around $150 for a ton (2000lbs or so).

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    3 tons = 600 of my American dollars.

the price jumped for a few reasons:

1) it's getting colder
    2) gouging related to Katrina (no connection, but there you have it anyway) and
    3) demand went up because oil went up.

17. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    A pellet is what remains of the Qintar's enemies after he gets nuts. I burn them for him.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I just started looking :meh: I've got very little left from last year. 'round here it's usually 80% oak.

I've got a 70s black enamel, upside-down funnel typed freestanding fireplace... I'm looking to replace it with nice pellet burning woodstove soon.

19. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I hear the French are using cars this year... :eek: :rollno:

20. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    My big Norway maple will be pruned in a week or two. I've had to take down maple and ash trees around my house - both woods burn fine.