Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've gotten out of spending some money, so what sixer should I put it towards?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, my plan was to buy a new amp (Yorkville XM100) for $500 CAD in November, DiMarzios for my Samick later that month, and then a sixer in the spring. Well, recently -- actually, as recent as yesterday, I found a used Yorkville BM100 for the fantastic price of $150! The sound is great and it stays like that when it's at 7/8 (as high as I was willing to test it in the store and my house). Now, the thing is bloody filthy -- I mean, absolutely disgusting. But the price makes up for that. The cost was explained by several factors -- 1. It's old -- not vintage, just old. I'd guess about a decade. 2. It's used, and has obviously been used in some pretty rough places. 3. The market for used Yorkvilles around here is pretty nonexistant.

Now, I'll bet you're wondering "What the hell does this have to do with basses, and why haven't I moved it yet?" Well, here's where that comes in. Now, to pay for the new amp, the 'rents were going to put $200 forward as a birthday present and I was going to cover whatever was left over. This not only saves me about $200, but it now gives me $200 from them to spend on gear! Sure, $200 CAD doesn't exactly a lot for most gear, but I'm going to cancel the plans for new p'ups and put that towards geting my six string $400 earlier! :D

First off, price limit: $1,200 CAD. For you non-Canuckers, the Canadian dollar is about 74 cents US. The name of the game is versatile. Passive preferred, and I'm not going to spend an arm and a leg for vintage tone. Six strings (standard BEADGC, nothing crazy like a high F or something), wide string spacing perferred. The spacing on the Yamaha TRB6-II (one of two six strings I've ever gotten to play) was perfect. You can slap, and the neck -- while very wide at first -- is very easy to adjust to. Just as a frame of reference, that thing is way out of my price range (my teacher paid $2000 for his, ouch!). A nice physical balance would be nice, but I very much accept that six strings tend to be pretty neck heavy so that's not really an issue. Right now, I'm sitting on the choices between the Ibanez BTB406QM and the Dean Edge Q6. Both are, I am very well aware, well below my price limit. I'd like you guys to throw any ideas my way on those two basses, and I'd be VERY open to suggestions on other basses, so feel free to speak up, especially if it fits into most of my criteria.
    And guys...I know the standard advice -- buy what feels right, and that's fantastic advice. But frankly, there isn't a store for 3 hours around here that ever carries any sixers in store, and visits to the cities -- Ottawa, Toronto, etc. are exceedingly rare. And by exceedingly, I mean exceedingly rare. I've only had a chance to play two different sixers, both of which belonged to my teacher (first sixer was a custom fretless and was also the first time for me playing a fretless, I was just plain LOST on that thing and then the TRB more recently was much nicer). So yeah, sixers around here are considered exotic animals to be talked about in dark, shadowy corners and traded on a black market but the public never admits they exist.

2. I would personally shoot for a used bass at that price. You might be able to pick up a used used Cirrus 6 string for that price. Other than that I have heard good things about the BTBs. You are in a weird price bracket at 1200. There are quite a few just below that and at a few hundred more you can start getting into some more high end stuff.

I say try to go used. You'll get the most bang for your buck.

Geoff

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ahhh, I've heard such amazing things about the Cirrus...*sigh*. Yeah, it's a weird price bracket, but $1,200 is pushing it. I want this bugger by the end of spring -- I still have driver's ed to pay for, after all.

EDIT: Note that I could have a brand new sixer redwood Cirrus by December, but half of every paycheck goes to saving for university. So beyond the amp and driver's ed, I'm only able to spend half of what I earn. Right now I've got $800 in my account and I can't spend a red cent of it! It's frustrating, but necessary.

4. The Dean Edge 6 strings are nice, but the string spacing is a little tight.

Have you checked out the Schecter Stiletto Studio 6? It's a very nice 6 string. I was given a quote of $699 USD from my local store.
    Neck thru, bubinga over mahogony body, 18v EMG-HZ's, Grover Tuners, it's nice!

Check it out.

[​IMG]

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, I found out my folks would be all for giving me $200 towards the bass for Chrismtas in addition to the birthday thing, so between paychecks and the money I'll have attained through gifts/not having to spend on an amp, my price range just went up. I'll say $1600 or $1800 CAD by the end of January. I won't go higher 'cause I really don't need anything that expensive anyway -- I'm just buying the nice stuff while I'm young so when I'm fourty with two kids, a wife, a mortgage, and a car that needs fixing I'm not trying to cut $2,000 out of my budget for gear.

So that Schecter is about $700USD? That's a pretty damn good price for bubinga/mahogany, 18v EMGs, and a neck-thru...mmm, I'll have to look into that.