I've hit the wall

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Mar 7, 2003.

1. I'm trying everything i can to improve my playing, learn new scales, techniques, everything, but they don't seem to stick in my brain. all my lines sound the same and not what i want them to sound like... since i really wanna get a prog band going, i try and think prog, but no luck, i just keep coming up with funk basslines :(
  2. maybe funk is your destiny...:confused:
    i dunno, man. i do know what you mean; i'm kinda going through a similar thing. i wish i could help; if i thikn of anything, i'll let you know...
  3. Hmm. Forget about playing bass for awhile. Even just a few days. Completely immerse yourself in prog for those few days, then cut it off. Don't listen to anything for a day or so. Spend this time sleeping or doing something else useless. Then go back to the bass and see what's up.

It worked for me and ska.
  4. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

Man I had the same problem, so I joined a Funk/Punk band (leaving my old rock band in the dust,lol) I really like it, and it's a really open scene, whatever you think, jsut keep playin bro:bassist:
  5. go with the funk

its better anyway...:p ;)
  6. (sonic's signature)

:p funny!
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Let me tell you, that wall is covered with damn crazy glue... don't be shocked if you stay there for a while. I've been there for months now. But I've continued playing, it seems a bit of a drag, but there are some days that I'm just so into it that it makes those bad days seem worth it.

Good luck getting out of that rut.
  8. deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    The winter slows everything down...eventually things will pick up;)
  9. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know it's a cliche thing to say at this website :p but what will get you out of your cliche's would be taking lessons. I was at a platuea myself a while back, so I took a few lessons. Where I was thinking to much inside the box, the lessons got me thinking outside of the box.
  10. thanks ed, i took lessons for 2 years, but my mom forgot to sign me up again this year, but my dad just got laid off, so i don't think i can take lessons for the next few months.
  11. boxes scard me, I try to stay away from them...and if I have to be near them I try to stay outside of them.

Whats does thinking while inside a box or outside of a box have to do with playing bass? Does it have to do with your surroundings?

I'm tired and going to bed now (I get up at 4:30 every morning) so good night everyone and merry christma...wait...no..just good night (I'm tired so I thought it was funny)
  12. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    If you can't get a teacher-find the scale relations for the different scales e.g. the different minors 1, 1/2 1 1 1/2 1 1 1/2 [steps] etc. ,bebop, etc. I'm just getting into doing minor thirds and two octave scales w/my teacher and during my freeplay/mess around time i'm working on BlackBird-Jaco and getting at least a reggaeish sounding line-it's driving me crazy i heard the song "One Love" as done by Bob Marley during class one day and it's been stuck there. If that doesn't work-go play some new gear at your local music shop to get your GAS goin thus getting your mind off of the wall. Thats all
  13. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    If you want to learn a particular idiom of music and play it convincingly you can try to do the following:

- Immerse yourself with *insert genre of music here* and listen to it a whole lot

- Learn things off of records. Play them exactly as played on the record, then make up your own version.

- Get together with other people who like to pay *insert genre here* and play togehter. Try doing covers for starters.

Some advice...

14. Listen to a new Genre of music. Its what helped me get over my wall. I was just into rock and Rap when I first started playing bass, But in the summer of my first year of playing bass I had to start taking Double Bass lessons cuz my music teacher told me he wanted me to start playing double bass. Double bass got me into jazz, which led me to funk, bluegrass, latin and many other genres. It could have been that the new instrument got me over the wall but I think that it was the new genres of music that did it for me. And plus how long have you been playing? Everyone usually reaches a wall 1-2 years into playing bass and just quit there. But Just persevere and you will be rewarded many times over with your playing.