1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I've just got to share the news!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ray Holt, May 2, 2006.

1. Sorry if this isn't appropriate as it doesn't really have to do with the actual building of guitars but...

I got accepted to the Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery for this coming fall!!!!!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I am sooooooo psyched about this. I cannot wait!

I just got the news and just had to share... have any of you guys attended previously? Have any advice/tips?

I just can't explain how happy I am :)

(If this isn't appropriate for this section, please move it!)

2. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Dude that's cool! Congrats :)

3. I believe Scott French went there. I wish I could have spared the time for something like that. Good luck and put in your blood, sweat and tears on learning as much as you can!

4. None taken, I've found this is usually what works best! I like to just shut my mouth and learn all that I can!

5. very cool! Good luck!

6. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    THat's awesome, man. What is the method in which they go about accepting people in, exactly? I mean, what qualifications must one have?
    I just heard I've been accepted to graduate school in the fall....I'd much rather be going to Roberto-Venn.

Have a great time!

7. JSP,

You've got to fill out a pretty standard application. All the basic info, tell if you've got woodworking/instrument building experience (if so, what kind) then write two essays basically explaining why they should accept you.

You don't have to have any experience going into it... but I've got a good bit of woodworking experience and I'm just about done with my first electric guitar that I built with my own knowledge and Melvyn Hiscock's book.

They said the average class size is 33... and I was afraid I wouldn't get in because he said it was getting full...but it worked out!!! Thanks for all the kind words guys. I look forward to the day I can make instruments on par with the stuff I've seen on here!

8. and if you build any spare bodies, and have no use for them :)

feel free to send them this way :D

9. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Actually it does. Your lucky, your young and you will recieve formal training in something you like to do. Best wishes and remember us when your famous. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    And now Greenman turns into Green-with-envy-man, like many of us :D

Congrats! And good luck! :cool:

11. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    i want to go there next year after i graduate with my BA.

i heard its an awesome school if not THE best in the world.

congrats and best of luck. make the best out of it or you will regret it!

12. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    ...have to go +1 on 100% of that...
    ...slightly envious, too...

13. Well, if you guys ever see "Holt Guitars and Basses" or something like it please remember ME and check it out :D

Thanks for all the kind words... I'll definitely keep you guys updated while I'm there. I can't wait.

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Sometimes I see holt* instruments...

*holt is an archaic form of dead in my language :p

15. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    Hi,
    Congrats Man. I attended RV from 04-05 and I must tell you that in the five months, you will learn more information than your brain can process. R-V gives you a great foundation for building and repairing. All I can say is learn as much as you can while your there.

Gary Fried

16. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    As said before, R-V will give you a good foundation, but it is up to you what you do with it. Phoenix rocks, and if you get a chance, check out Woodworkers Supply on 40th and Priest, some really great wood there for your projects.