I've just received this e-mail...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Oct 25, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

...and this story shocked me. A forwarded message with a warning that I'm translating for all of you fellow TalkBassers. I don't know if it's true or not, but anyway it left me a sensation of uneasiness. Fortunately, I don't drink nor like going to bars:

On last September 17th, a young man from Bogotá went with some friends to a bar in a near city. They were having a good time and he was a little drunk and a cute girl that he met there invited him to her house and he obviously accepted. They went to a small apartment and kept drinking beer and then he was doped. When he woke up, he was naked in a bath tub totally covered in ice. He still had the hangover, but he could feel a sharp pain in his back. He saw in a wall a message written with a lipstick: "Call inmediately to the hospital because you have less than two hours of life left. And thank you". There was a phone by his side and called. He explained to the person who picked the call what happened, about drinking, woking up naked, the bath tub with ice, his back pain and the reason because he was calling. The woman at the phone told him to look on a mirror if he had some needle marks or something like that. Apparently OK, so she asked him to watch his back and he saw two cuts like 15 cms. long in the lower area of his back. An ambulance was sent inmediately and at the hospital they found what happened: His kidneys were stolen. Each one costs around US$10000 in the black market. People involved in this have medical knowledge and the drugs given aren't funny: Big amounts of heavy anesthetics. Right now this guy is connected to a system for keeping him alive, waiting for a compatible kidney. You can't imagine this new mafia which purpose is selling human organs. They sell corneas, lungs, kidneys and even eyes, around US$5000 and US$10000, depending on the organ. We want to prevent new cases from happening (personal data of the victim provided). "
  2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

3. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

I was hoping to sell mine for a couple of Nord basses, and a Sadowsky.
  4. froggsoldier

Apr 29, 2005
    Dang well it had me going for a moment, see this is why I don't go out and have fun, I read too much! lol :ninja:
  5. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    It's crap, thats an operation you would not wake up from.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    And the legend goes on..........Someone will read the first post and nothing else, and then they'll run around telling everyone about it like it's totally true. :)

7. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Sounds kinda like the movie, "Dirty Pretty Things."
  8. i traded mine last year for a dime sack and some m&m's. well worth it
  9. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    I think I saw this on mythbusters or something. There was no point to putting a person in ice, you only put the organ in ice.
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow...this is a moldy, oldy one.

brad cook
  11. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    And God said unto Moses -

"I have thee the 11th commandment - Thou shalt always check Snopes.com before posting a thread."
  12. This is what I know from first-hand experience:

They give you aenesthetics in a drip. You also need a mask that supplies gasses that keep you under. When the mask is removed, you wake up, depending on whether they give you morphine, etc.

You NEVER have your back cut open, unless it's your back they're operating on - they operate from the front. They would cut you in half from the bottom of the breastplate to below your navel.
  13. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Also, did you guys know that if you drink pop rocks and coke you'll like, explode or something.

brad cook
  14. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    You might want to read a little more on the subject.

15. Hey, I'm not a doctor, I'm a patient. I am speaking from my experience, like I said. I had my testicular lymph glands removed - they were right at the back of the abdominal wall. The surgeon who was in charge has performed, so he tells me, well over one thousand kidney transplants. He told me they always operate from the front. And that's my experience with the subject. Sorry if I mislead anyone - don't trust what you read on the 'net, I guess.
  16. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Great flick :)
  17. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    this is like the oldest urban legend ever.....
  18. froggsoldier

Apr 29, 2005
    Too True, Too True
  19. NO WAY!?!?!