1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've learned something very valuable....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoshuaTSP, Mar 20, 2010.

1. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    ...just give me a bass, and I'll play it. I don't need fancy basses or more then two.

When I'm gigging give me two....just in case.

I don't care if it's a POS......as long as it's not mad of cardboard and the intonation is good.........I'm good.

I have 8 basses. No other reason then I'm compulsive, a gear whore, and quick to reward myself for nothing.

In the end, grip it and rip it.

2. I was really concerned about my gear , then i just started gigging a cv squier, works good enough for me, and gets complimented.

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Right there are only 2 kind of real basses anyway: A P and a J!
    What more do you need?

But wait if this is such valuable information why is it that symphony players have been known to spend up to a million bucks for a "special" instrument. You don't suppose that there are differences in instruments, do you? You don't suppose that to "master" an instrument means more than just fingering and musical virtuosity, do you?

The point is that a true master controls EVERY aspect of his/her performance. That's what it means. And that means that EACH aspect is optimized to give the absolute best performance possible. It's as simple as that.

The complexity is that many musicians have bought into the line that "you get what you pay for". May it's true in general, but "pay" can take various forms other than money. I know certain players who gig with Squirers and rock the house. Not because they play a cheap POS bass but because they PICKED that bass out for it's special unique characteristics. I have quite a few instruments like that. Inexpensive, but totally unique tone that has been modded and tweaked by me to give me exactly the instrument I seek for a certain kind of performance.

So in the end it is NOT about playing "junk", it's about playing what gives you what your creativity is telling you is the "right" thing that fits! Cost is irrelevant in many cases. And sometimes it's not!

4. YOu have 8 basses, becaue you still have not been smitten by, The One. ***angels singing and white light and all that***

5. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    I have two basses that I like the most. My 500/1 copy (not exact, was made by a luthier in NYC. Dunno who. Bought it off of eBay cause it was cheap, and it turned out to be MY bass). And a Music Man Bongo. I could only ever use these two basses and I'd be happy forever.

But then I got a upright and now I don't touch anything but the upright. I could lose my two slabs, and I wouldn't care at all.

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I have 5 basses already within a period of 6 months and 2 more on a wish list. I go from a $200 Squire to
    an ($1500) Amer. P Bass V ( my fav. right now) . I wouldn't pay more than $2000 for a bass, If I want to spend that much I'd get a Les Paul Guitar or something from a collectable shop. Those collectables in perfect shape from say 1961, don't do it for me. I did just get a $1000 Fender Road worn P bass and it was a good buy. I don't trust things that are out of the original box and never played. Basses and guitars are meant to be played. In today's economy its a buyers market and you shouldn't have to pay more than $1500 for any instrument. :cool:

7. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Sometimes I don't think it's the bass, but the mind that needs to accept only playing one bass.

I have a long way to go. :( :D

....I can't pass up a good deal. :eyebrow:

8. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Man,you hit it on the nose!! I've owned or played about everything out there that cost less than $2500,and still go back to my two fav. el cheapos-- a Rogue "Pro5",and an Ibanez GSR190--The combined cost of these two is less than I payed for my ol' Ric4001's hardcase,but they have everything I look for in an instrument;they hold tune,they're balanced/comfortable,and,believe it or not,sound as good or better than my Ric/Fen/Carven/etc.. Use what works!!

9. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    I bought a Spector after decades of playing a Tele and lust for a Sadowsky but I still find myself going back to that Tele. Go figure.

It's the journey.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Two basses is all I need. One to gig with and one beater to bang around the house with and not worry about bass + 5 year old son + screwdriver.

However, the gigging bass has to be a real gem to me. Tone and neck feel are important to me. I cant get that from a junker.

11. cottonfever

cottonfever

Dec 4, 2008
    I too believe in the bass and not the price of it that makes it IT!I have a early 90's Squier made P/J body with a 70's maple Memphis lawsuit neck(which actually fits my buddies 74 Fender p-bass body better than the original Fender neck does/did)it has a Fender 80's deluxe brass bridge,Fender scripted tuners from a 70's era p-bass and a set of Dimarzio p-bass pick-ups and a 60's Fender bridge position jazz pick-up.
    My point you ask?well this bass plays better than,sounds more textbook Fender than,and gets far more compliments than both my 50th anni. Jazz bass(american)with the S-1 switch and vintage jazz pick-ups,and r/wood fingerboard AND my American standard p-bass with the S-1 switch and r/wood fingerboard.
    So I do believe that its not ALWAYS the country of origin(korea,Japan and Indonesian)or the dollar amt.there are many other variables at work,as I learned more about the the bass and doing set-ups and building my own Frankenstein bass ,the more I was able to pick a diamond out of a pile of charcoal.

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I am gigging predominantly with a $250 Squier VM these days and I have got more compliments about my tone with this bass than I did with my 3 Sadowskys. Go figure.

I might sound better with a $8000 Ritter or Fodera, but is a bar full of non-musicians having a few drinks really gonna care?

P.S. I an not bashing high end basses as I still own 7 or 8 $1000-4000 basses.

13. Emmaporkchop

Emmaporkchop Guest

Jun 23, 2009
    I could care less where an instrument is made, I've played MIA's that were awful and then picked up a MIM or Korean bass that was amazing. I hate new out of the box guitars, My favorite bass is my MIM P bass deluxe active, the best fretless I've ever played is my modified Cort. The only bass I regret letting go was my '84 SB-1.
    As it was said before, a P bass and a Jazz are really all you need.

14. Im with you guys. play your heart out on whatever you have! as a studio bassist i find i need to keep some variety around. For one...both fretted and fretless. i TRY to make my basses kill as many birds with one stone as they can...but a 5 string fretted just CANT sound like a 5 string fretless.

I own 6 basses at the moment....but the custom jazz bass i just picked up (and fell in love with) has enabled me to thin out my herd a bit! thankfully.

15. funkingroovin

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    So,I just got back from a cancer benefit,and just had to add to this thread.(I posted right before I left)

I played today/tonight with my Rogue LX405Pro($200)
    I played thru someone else's P.O.S. Peavy15combo back-up

2 acts before us is this guy playing a WILD boutique fretless 6er,like Jaco +2strings. His group gets done,I ask about his bass. Turns out he's a luthier by trade,made the bass himself,and was giving it a test run before shipping it to it's new owner,to the tune of $7600!!!!!
    Then says "that one's not too bad,but THIS is my Baby",and hands me another 6er that looked like a blending of an Alembic Dragon and Claypool's "rainbow" bass. O.M.G.

I pick up my jaw(and kick myself for not showing up w/at least a Fender) and humbly excuse myself to get my "gear" ready.

We play our set,and this guy is there as soon as we're done,wanting to know what I was playing and who built it!!
    I sheepishly tell him it's a Rogue and was about to add some excuse about not wanting to risk anything else at one of these multi-band gigs,when he says "Oh, Alembic-good choice!"

I almost choke on my drink,and hand it to him,and point out the misunderstanding. He looks at both me and the guitar blankly for a moment,and says "You've got to be kidding.I mean,Uhh,what I meant was er.." I started laffin my a## off
    and told him about my posting before I left. We got to BSing,and he simply couldnt believe the tones I had pulled thru that guit/rig. And I could hardly get him to tell me about his basses,he wouldn't put my $200 beater down!!

By the end of the night,HE played MY beater for 2 other sets,and said he was ordering the same guitar tomorrow!
    Unreal!! (And, No, I declined to disgrace his basses with my mediocre fumblings :D)

16. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    A fretted and fretless J + amp is all I need. That sure is easy to say since I can't afford any new gear right now.

17. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    It's crazy how easy it is to get caught up in GAS.

8 basses later, here I sit.....embarrassed to own so many.....since I admit that my skill level doesn't require them, and that I only need two to gig.

Makes me sick that I lack the control and personal discipline to avoid buying more and more and more gear. :(

18. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Funkingroovin.... Your post should be REQUIRED READING for forum members here.

I've had a similar (though not AS terrible) situation in playing before, but entirely on someone elses's equipment. You just "figure it out" what it will give you , what it won't give you, and where the sweet spot tonally is for that particular setup, and CAMP OUT in that groove. Make excursions to test the sonic waters, but once you find out what THAT rig sounds like, use it!
    Almost every setup has at least one good tone in it somewhere, in my opinion.

19. funkingroovin

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Thank you sir,and +1 to "camping"..I agree every rig has it's own zone,and usually sound decent,if not forced to sound like something it's not

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020