Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've managed to smoosh my pickup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dirtrider, Feb 25, 2005.

1. So I've been playing more fingerstyle on my P Bass and I've been using the bass pickup as a thumb anchor when playing. I tend to play a little hard and as a result, I've managed to push the pickup down. So now, after a particularly long practice, I've noticed the end up the pickup is lower on one side. I think I've smushed the foam or something underneath. I supposed I need to replace the foam but is there a type of foam that's a bit stronger than what is normally used and if so, where can I get it?

I know some of you will tell me to lighten my touch, but that's just not how I play, so it's not an option.

TIA.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You can get neoprene foam from a hardware store. You can also put small springs on the screws instead. They don't break down so easily.

3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Get yourself an inexpensive rubber mousepad, the kind with rubber on the botton and a thin foam layer on top (usually w/ an advertisement on it).
    Cut it to fit the pu cavity and add as many layers as you need. I use them all the time - pushes back very well, does "smoosh as easily as normal foam.

4. You can increase the effectiveness of the neoprene foam by underpinning it with some of the closed cell high density foam from something like a flip flop. You don't really need much in the way of adjustability once you've decided where the pup needs to be so after that's decided, use the high density foam for most of the height and then the softer neoprene for the last bit and cushioning. The pup won't ever get crushed down again.