1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've Narrowed Down My List of Amps to 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by csacwp, Sep 28, 2009.

1. csacwp

csacwp

Sep 27, 2009
    Should I get:

1. Acoustic B100

or

2. Gallien-Krueger brat pack half stack

I've read good and bad things about both. The decision is too hard.. :crying:

2. manutabora

manutabora

Aug 14, 2007
    Iowa City, IA
    Why only those two options? Could you keep saving a little longer? Could you buy used?

3. csacwp

csacwp

Sep 27, 2009
    I don't need anything louder than these two amps. I've considered finding an Ampeg ba115 used but I think the sound would be a little brighter than I'm looking for. My budget pretty firmly rests around $300. I'm looking for something around 100 watts preferably with a 15" speaker. The Acoustic and the brat stack are what I've narrowed it down to. The only thing that really worries me about the brat stack is it's size. I watched a video on youtube featuring it and it looks quite large.

4. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    ive played the acoustic. it kinda sucks. the ampeg was nice but didnt really stand out to me. the new hartke stuff in that pricerange was rather surprising. you should at least check them out

5. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Between the Acoustic and Ampeg combos, I made that same comparison when I was buying my own Acoustic B200. I liked the controls and sound of the Acoustic better, and it was cheaper to boot. So I would recommend the B100.

As for the Brat Pack, to be painfully honest, I've really not heard much good about it. Mr. Gallien himself posts here from time to time, and I'm sure he'd take exception to that, but I've read in various reviews that the cab and/or speaker is low quality, and the heads sometimes overheat or have noise problems. Your mileage may vary...

6. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Find a used Ampeg B-100R, it's within you budget and slays those other ones.

7. this.

8. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    one more thing if going ampeg try to get a used American model if possible. high quality then the Vietnam models

9. csacwp

csacwp

Sep 27, 2009
    :( The cheapest used Ampeg B100r I could find was $320+ without shipping.

Does anybody have anything good to say about the Hartke Kickback 12?

10. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

Go for the GK, those things are very reliable and nice sounding

11. dbthump

dbthump

Mar 20, 2009
    Tampa
    You don't need anything louder for what, practice? You're making it harder with a $300 limit. If you can't bump it up then get something used to hold you over for a while, under $100 maybe, then save up. $450-$600 really opens up your choices, IMO.

12. csacwp

csacwp

Sep 27, 2009
    I'm going for a practice/rehersal amp.

This is the first good thing I've heard on this forum about the GK Brat halfstack. Why does it have such a bad rep?

13. dbthump

dbthump

Mar 20, 2009
    Tampa
    To rehearse with a band or in your home studio? I got a Hartke B60 for $50 of cl, and it's plenty loud enough for either depending upon your style of music. If you're not playing out, or don't plan to for a while, why dump the cash into low end combo? On your budget the Acoustic B200 has the 15" you want, XLR out, 200w @ 4ohms, and you can add a cab on later to make use of that 200. The B100 is a dead end combo. Can't do anything more with it other than plug into it. For $100 more you have options and more power.

14. Charles Fields

Charles Fields

Mar 30, 2009
    Hello i would find a nice used combo just take your bass with and check some out ,300 buck's should get you somthing fairly decent in these time's there alot of great deal's(people need cash) look on craigs list or e-bay you can play out with a peavey combo or somthing of that nature and if your not gonna move it alot that would be perfect get one with a widow 15 and your set!

15. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
  16. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul. Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    I am just naturally suspicious of rigs that have a cute name. In the back of my mind it's about the young kid getting smitten and then dragging mom and dad into the store to buy what he sees as his ticket to the Big Time. That's overstated, of course.

My recommendation is to consider the SWR Workingman series, used: They're in 10, 12 and 15 configurations, and I think a 210 as well. These are stout, good, capable of taking on an extension cabinet, and have passed the test of time. I have owned the three listed above, and still have the 10 and 12. All are dependable, worthy and amply endowed with horsepower.