1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've narrowed it down to 5, need help getting to ONE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MOTTOB, Feb 19, 2008.

1. MOTTOB

MOTTOB

Jun 30, 2007
    Syracuse
    Endorsing Artist: Air Bass Customs
    I am looking for a great, all purpose bass to compliment my Fender MIA Jazz V (Passive w/Lindy Fralin pups) to give me a good 2-axe arsenal. Can't spend MTD 535 bucks, so trying to keep it in the $1.8K to $2.4K range.

Here is what I seem to keep coming back to:

Peavey USA Cirrus 5 (Local Peavey Dealer)
    MTD ZX5 Limited (as seen at The Perfect Bass)
    Roscoe Century Standard V (again, at The Perfect Bass)
    Sadowsky Metro M5-24
    Lakland 55-02

All the above w/maple fingerboard.

Do any of these stand out as a clear winner, or even a clear loser? Am I overlooking something obvious, something WAY better for the money?

Looking for a modern sound but with good variety and a fast neck. I like a low action, mostly finger style, occasional slap.

Playing through a GK 1001RB-II and a Ampeg 610 Cab - which I am ditching for either (2) GK Neo 212's or (1) Neo 212 & (1) Neo 115.

(Although now I am GASsing for a GB Uber 410 and a Shuttle 6 thanks to Fretlessboy... DOH!:rollno:)

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    metro or lakland.

3. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah....what he said

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Wow. IMO, none of those are particular stand-outs. They're all terrific! Honestly, I'd scratch the Sadowsky first, since it's so close to your current bass. I haven't played the MTD, so I don't want to make a comparison, but my gut tells me it's going to be the closest to the Cirrus. It's been too long since I've played the 55-02, so I will leave that comment to others. I think the Roscoe is going to get you closest to a P-Bass thump, if you're looking for that to compliment your Jazz. It'll do the "modern" as well, but I'd think not as "modern" as the MTD or Cirrus.

No matter what you choose on that list, you won't be going wrong! I'd suggest put a picture of each on a dartboard, close your eyes, toss, and there's your bass!

5. MOTTOB

MOTTOB

Jun 30, 2007
    Syracuse
    I thought the Sadowsky Modern would be way different from my vintage sounding passive Jazz ????

6. fishdds

fishdds

Nov 23, 2006
    Greensboro NC
    Don't count out the Roscoe for the modern sound you're looking for. The century standard has the all Bart setup, so it's going to be a little darker and compressed, but it's still going to be a modern sounding bass. If you solo the neck pickup, you can definitely get the aforementioned P-bass thump. Plus, it's a very versatile bass. Some others do the modern thing, but that's about it. You get a good deal of variety with Roscoe. Plus talk about fast necks and low action...:bassist:

7. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    What are the specs of your Fender?.If it's alder/rosewood, go with the Sadowsky Metro...the Cirrus bass is a nice buy, though..for $2400, you could get a LOT....a Mike Lull 5, A Sadowsky Metro, an Alembic Epic, a really nice MusicMan Stingray (and save some $$), a Warwick Thumb. Spector US bolt on maybe, or better, you might even come across a new-used Roscoe here on the boards for maybe $2400.....there's even a new-used Nordy going for that and they are incredible....all good choices for an alternate bass.....my vote for the most rational would probably be the Stingray HH5...lots of tonal possibilites and you could use the rest of the money for other upgrades......

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ah! You're right, I read right over the M5. It seems like every Metro I've seen lately has been the standard Jazz, so I forgot about the Moderns. It will be quite a variation from your Jazz, but I'm not sure to what extent, having not played a Modern.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    sadowskyyyyyyyy

10. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Two things:

1 - Peavey Cirrus - modern tone, fast neck, super low action precisely describe the Cirrus
    2 - Ebay

The Cirrus is a fantastic instrument regardless of price. The fit, finish, tone, playability, and customer support are only rivaled by top end "boutique" instruments, in my opinion of course having owned 5 of them over the years.

They can be readily had on Ebay NEW for well below your target price. Often, they go for $1200 - $1400. If you're willing to go used, they can be had for even less.

Use Ebay, save some serious cash and buy those killer GK cabs!

Just my $.02.

11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    From what I've seen here, a used MTD 535 could be within your budget...

12. jtallent

jtallent

Sep 15, 2007
    Mantua, NJ
    Go for the Roscoe! Great modern tone with one of the best B's in the business ... but still with flexibility for much more. Nothing beats finding a good store though and playing some of these different instruments to find what's right for you. Good luck.

13. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    +1 for Sadowsky... and yes, it will sound much different (a good kind of different) than the jazz. Make sure you get the VTC and think about Nordstrand Big Singles.

14. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    Another good pick......a used Lakland 55-94.......monster......

15. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Go used and get 2-3 off of your list. The Peavey has the fastest neck IMO and although it is versatile, its not as versatile as some of those other basses. Its strength lies in its mids and highs which makes it a favorite of my soundman. A little too much mids for me. My 3 bass arsenal is Mike Lull MV5, Peavey Cirrus 4, Lakland 44-02. These are all great basses, but the Cirrus has the best neck. The sound is very compressed compared to the other 2.

16. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I have a MTD Z series 6-string, and a Roscoe LG3005 (for sale, by the way). I thought the MTD had a pretty good tone, until I got the Roscoe and played them back to back. The MTD sounded thin as a piece of paper. It had no guts at all, in comparison. I haven't played one of the Roscoe Century Standards, but I'd be willing to bet they'd be pretty killer.

One other note, it looks like all of your choices are the "budget" model from each company except for the Peavey. If you consider buying a used instrument, a couple more options open up for the American hand-made versions. Once you buy a bass, it becomes used anyway. On the other hand, some people like having a brand new bass. If that floats your boat, that's cool too, but you'll lose a little more if you want to re-sell.

Danksalot

17. MOTTOB

MOTTOB

Jun 30, 2007
    Syracuse
    Wow, I'm just blown away by the thoughtful responses. Thanks everyone.

Strong recommendations to go used and a great suggestion (tycobb) that doing so will allow me to buy 2 or 3 basses vs. just the 1

Ace, my Fender Jazz is Alder/Rosewood

Matt, thanks for the pointer on ebaying the GK cabs

Danksalot, funny, I played the Kingston and Heir and was completely disappointed (of course I was comparing to the 535) Was hoping better for the Z

jtallent, +1000 on the "good store, play 'em all" technique. Gotta get out of Syracuse if that is ever going to happen.

Thanks again everyone, I'll re-read the thread a few times and start shopping.

18. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    What - no StringRay 5 or Bongo 5 on the list????

19. Would'e?

Would'e?

Mar 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I LOVE the Peavey Cirrus as a bass, but have you looked at Carvin? You can order a custom bass (Icon or LB70) with all the features of the Cirrus and probably others you mentioned for less $$$. I priced a Carvin with the same features as a Cirrus (or as close I could get them) and I think it was close to a thousand dollars less.

20. SR5