Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've narrowed it down to two choices

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rancidrancid, Jan 2, 2006.

1. P-bass replacement pickup.

Nordstrand NP4 pickup or Dimarzio Split P?
    I play in a punk/metal band that kind of sounds like Minor Threat,and I also play in an oldies band,and when I say oldies,I mean like Great Balls Of Fire era.

2. good choice narrowing it down...flip a coin...

HEADS! it's heads! (whatever that means... :bag: )

3. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Lindy Fralin is better then either of them. Sorry to complicate things.

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Nordstrand NP4 :hyper:

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I haven't tried either pickup, but based on what I've read on this board and elsewhere, I would expect them to be very different from each other. The Nordstrand is an "updated vintage" pickup along the lines of Lindy Fralin, which is designed to provide essentially vintage tonality with more output and clarity. (I've tried the Fralin P, and have Fralins in my Jazz bass. They are outstanding pickups.) The DiMarzio, from what I gather reading the company's pitch, is a more modern "full range" pickup, perhaps similar to a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder. If it's any less vintage than DiMarzio's Model P, which I used to have, it will be quite different indeed from something like the Nordstrand -- so if you want a more vintage/classic P-bass tone, the Nord is the easy choice.

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have a Dimarzzio Split P. It is an original 1981 model. It is probably the best pickup I have ever had in a bass. Just on that alone, I like the Dimarzzio Pups. I know that on my latest project, the Norstrand came highly recommended and it also came with a pretty good price too.

7. What about a DiMarzio Model P or Will Power Middle :smug:

(sorry)

8. i like the new reverend P i got for $18. i bought it at the reverend shop in cash, so it was $18 + tax ~ $19. hard to beat.

pickup recommendations are a crapshoot, though. i bought dimarzo ultra jazz for a j bass because everyone loved them. i found them too scooped for my tastes. so don't be surprised if what you get isn't what you expected.

good luck choosing. both seem to be great pickups, but without any personal experience, what is my opinion worth?

robb.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I just ordered the same Reverend P Pickup that robb did. For $26 including shipping what's the worst you could do?

10. +1