I've narrowed it down...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, May 15, 2005.

1. GK 1001RB-II

11 vote(s)
  2. IAMP 800

2 vote(s)
  3. Eden WT-550

8 vote(s)
  4. Thunderfunk TFB-550

22 vote(s)
  5. Carrots.

7 vote(s)
  1. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Looking to replace my rack to run 2 Aggie GS112's. The amp choices are narrowed down to the ones in the poll.

Which would you pick and why?
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    knowing all but the Eden... I'd get the Thunderfunk!!

my AMP BH-260 is the piece of gear sold that I miss the most. Just killer tone, very tube like but tight and punchy! I hear Dave has made some good improvements to a killer overall design.
  3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    What about the AG500SC? :eyebrow:
  4. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Out of the ones on the list the Thunderfunk would be what I would choose but I would also recommend the AG500 or AG500-SC.
  5. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I own a GK 700RB-II and thought it was the cats meow until I heard clips of the Thunderfunk.

I'm very happy with my GK, but my vote went to the Thunderfunk.
  6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    mmmmmm Carrots....with ranch dip
  7. ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    I can recommend the Eden WT-550 as it's the same rig I run - only through one Aggie though.

The powerfull EQ section of the Eden lets you fill out the mid-scoop of the Aggie easily (I like mids). Moreover, you'll have a perfectly transportable rig - as for size as well as weight.

p.s.: unfortunately I never played one of the other choices.
  8. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Im very happy with my GK too.
  9. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    I voted for the TF, but the Eden is also a good choice for what I like to hear. Really comes down to personal preference - none of the choices are bad...
  10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    ..Probably my advise too. I'm thrilled with my GK 700RB, but on the other hand I couldn't afford a TF. The GK was nearly half the price of the TF ($550 at Uncle Bob's in Milwaukee).

I didn't think it wise to wait and save-up because my previous amp was not a pro amp, and not mine (a borrowed Hartke 1400), I only spend gig-money on equipment (made a deal with The Wife when I got into music), and it doesn't look like the band I'm with is going to be together for long (the two other members aren't into spending a Fri. or Sat night playing music - instead of I-don't-know-what! - as much as they thought they'd be, I guess); oy.

I've been able to spend about $1500 of gig-money on gear in the last year-or-so, so I'm not complaining mind you! It's just that I have to audition for another band now, and I'd better have some decent gear!

I'm much looking forward to hearing a Thunderfunk in-person. I've heard that there's nothin' like'em!

11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Another great option is the Kustom Groove Bass 1200. High power, great tone, tons of features, great looks (stainless front, etc, $500 or so new...
  12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    GK1001RB-II is working for me with my Bergs, and with your Aggies I think the great mid presence and punch of the GK would put a smile on your face. The Thunderfunk could be an overall smoother sounding amp but with almost half the power and 25% higher price, GK is working for me. (Riksmusic.com $600) !

(The presence and contour controls are very useful. I've used an Eden WT800 and Demeter HPB-1 and the GK gets "there" more quickly than either, although the Eden has slightly more headroom)