1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've never blown a speaker before...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeswals, Oct 11, 2010.

1. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Until two weeks ago. And I didn't even know it either! :confused:
    We played a big show opening for a national act. Their touring stage seemed plenty loud with moitors and side-fills that it didn't seem like I needed to run much volume any differently than before. But when we loaded our gear back in the practice studio the next day, I saw my 22 year old Mesa cab had a slightly demolished EV15. :meh:
    Luckily I have a spare EV stashed in the attic, and put the cab back together today. But I hope the old one can be fixed.

DSC06740.gif

2. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I'm no expert, but it looks like the cone itself ripped and maybe the coil isn't bad. Go get it reconed and keep it as your new backup!

Any chance it blew to phasing?

3. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I checked the phasing between all drivers in that cab, and well as my 2nd cab I run it with, and all are proper.
    Yeah the center completely tore from the cone, and luckily there's no scraping in the coil either, so it's still good. Now gotta find a good repair tech.

4. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    22 years for a bass driver is pretty good, if you got 10 years from a paper cone it's doing well too.
    A recone will sort it, but best to compare the price to a new driver first.

5. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Chances are your local amp tech can point you to the right people, you could probably even ship it out to a reputable company and save some dough.

It's a shame to see that happen man, I'm really sorry for you. I'm wanting to say a recone is less than $100 but don't hold me to that. Do you remember if you hit your pickups with your strings or any other kinda weird peaking out? That just looks bizarre that it happened.

6. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I'm not sure how easy those speakers are readily available man.

7. tdvt

tdvt

Oct 13, 2008
    Vermont
    If that's the original driver, I think you've done really well.

I've lost a few, don't play really loud stuff but they just wear out.

This last one gave it up during a folkie-ish, quiet song in a fairly small room. One second there was sound, next second there wasn't.

15 years on that one maybe?

They are still recone-able, around $120.

TL606blown.jpg

8. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    The cone being trashed and the coil being fine kind of demonstrates its excursion that limits speakers, not thermal power handling (quoted watts).

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The coil, spider, cone and surround are replaced as a unit.

10. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Orange County Speaker

http://speakerrepair.com/

They've been re-coning speakers since 1968.

They are the only place I trust to recone my vintage EVs. They know their stuff.

Speaker will be as good as brand new.

11. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    I just reconed the 15' in my 1516. Can't say I had a good time doing it, but I guess I learned a bit.

12. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    There we go. So essentially only the basket is left?

I learn something from you every day, thanks!

13. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    And a hearty Amen to that. I'll wager he has a subsonic problem, especially with a history of "not much volume." The condition of that cone is Subsonic Problem's calling card. (Though an aging cone can probably tolerate a lot less of it than a fresh one, I'll admit.)

14. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Cool, thanks for the reccomendation!

Yeah, it's an old rig I've been playing for over 19yrs now.

15. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Might be time to consider a 3015 too =) Lots of folks like them and they weigh like 10lbs less per driver and have twice the displacement roughly.

16. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Nope, not for Mike. I've heard him play many times, and the 15L is a much better choice in his case, IMO.

17. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    A high pass filter set to 40hz or something is probably the best thing to stop it happening. There is a pedalboard sized one called a thumpinator or somesuch you can get.

18. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Why?

19. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If it ain't broke, don't fix, sort of, obviously it is broke, but maybe if it sounds right as is, keep it like that, the change in tone the 3015 will have in that cab might not suit.

20. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm asking specifically because I've listened to both (owned a 15L, my first bass cab) and don't really find anything magical about the 15L's tone. Feels like it'd be pretty easy to cop in a mix with a bit of eq and / or some dirt.

Sorry, not trying to crap on anyone's thread, just noting that the cost of reconing those guys is getting pretty out there, and the weight is similarly out there :)