Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've never heard anything by Mark King....so sue me!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, May 5, 2001.

1. ok, well ive heard a lot of people talk about this guy, but ive never heard anything by him. what should i check out by him?

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Not missing much. Once you do hear it, you'll be left wondering "Hey, where's the bass?!"

The answer? There isn't any. ;)

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Mark definitely doesn't have a heavy sound but he's still one of the more accomplished bassists out here, especially from the singing/playing POV.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    check Mr. pink

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Mark King is one of the best slappers out there, but he's got his own way of doing things. Remember he's doing all the vocals, too. Very busy, but also plays some good fingerstyle too. The Level 42 tunes sound kind of schlocky and dated at times, but I like them nonetheless. Some cds to check out:

Standing In The Light
    Pursuit Of Accidents
    Level 42

These may be hard to find, though. You might also check out this website that has some downloadable live clips:

http://www.forevernow.com

6. that's what happens when you use 30-90 gauge strings:D

I have to admit I like "lessons in Love" though:oops:

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeahs, hes a great player, but the tone...bleh!

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    check out Napster for a little ditty by MArk and Jonas Hellborg on Sat Night Live back in 1984. Most of what you will hear on the mix is Mark. While a great player himself,Jonas was drowned out in the recording.

9. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    IMO the earlier level 42 stuff is much better than the later stuff.

After a concious descision not to listen to it any more I dug the albums out again quite recently and was horrified to find I quite liked it...

Anyway - Level 42 by Level 42 - check out "Dune tune" and "Turn it on"

Dune Tune took me a long time to learn, but its in my "Show off Riff Collection"

10. interesting- I'm downloading it on Napster at the moment - once when I was playing the main bass riff from Stanley Clarke's "Jamaican Boy" (the same line is in "School Days" briefly) in a rehearsal a guitarist recognised it as a Mark King line-I can see what he meant now- the two lines are very similar.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The really early stuff like "Starchild" wasn't bad.

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I was very curious about Mark King since an Alembic endorser surely is a great player. I've never heard Level 42 stuff until some weeks ago, when accidentally saw a rerun of Saturday Night Live announcing this band. They performed "Something about you". Although it seems to be one of their biggest hits, I must say that it's a weak and silly song to me (too 80's), but the band is cool and really liked Mark's playing. He doesn't play an Alembic here. The bass is that one which another forum member posted a picture some time ago (I don't remember the brand). Mark plays mainly slap in this tune. He wears sort of a thin black ring in his right thumb. I'd like to know what is it for. His fingerstyle playing is cool, too. BTW, i wear my bass exactly the same way Mark does: Very high for slapping with the right arm quite parallel to the strings. :)

13. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Level 42 is a case of typical record label mismarketing: the tunes released as singles and the found a bit of commercial success weren't very representative of their real sound and style. When they released "Something About You", I had already been listening to them for a while and was pretty disappointed. The black stuff on Mark King's thumb is just plain old tape.

14. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    The bass he was most likely playing was a Jaydee. Either a Classic or his signature model.

As mchildree says the stuff on his thumb is electrical insulating tape, as I remember it was an insurance clause - he had his hands insured for something silly like half a million pounds..

15. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    The insurance was set up by the record company to insure them against loss if Mark couldnt fulfill the Level42 commitments due to injury etc. Personally I think it was hype!! The tape is just good old gaffa tape ( I know as he has given me his tape at the end of a gig!!) and had nothing to do with insurance, it was just to protect his thumb against the hammering he gives the strings. The other bass would most likely have been a Jaydee but he has also played Status, Ashley Pangborn and more recently a Fender Jazz signature model and GB basses, although on his last tour he went back to the Alembics. He has recently been to the Status factory to see Rob Green to make another signature model. As said you really have to see through all the commercial stuff to get to the good stuff and also check out his solo stuff.

http://www.mark-king.com

has all the details.