1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I've never owned a bass for more than a few years

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mordechai, Mar 21, 2013.

1. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    I've had some good ones too. EBMM Stingray and a RIC 4001 were my "main" ones at different points. Both gone, sadly. Right now I'm playing a Hofner 500/4, which is like a Starfire type bass. Probably on it's way out soon. It's getting kind of depressing.

2. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    So stop flipping those basses already. Or is it that periodic financial troubles necessitate doing so?

3. If I were you, I would keep all my basses, except those that are completely outclassed and have no other redeeming qualities compared to other basses.

4. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    Well when I got the 4001 it was kind of like "I don't need the Stingray anymore." I sold the 4001 for financial reasons, and actually took about 2 years off from playing bass and performing in general. This had been after about 7 or 8 years of various original bands.

When I met and heard my wife, I started playing again. After about 4 years of playing with her, I've bought/sold/traded/saved my way up to this Hofner, but it just isn't working.

I've always been a one bass kinda guy, and had some beater on backup. Maybe I should try having two basses I like, so if I get frustrated on one I can spend some time on the other.

I'm just venting here, but I appreciate the replies.

5. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I used to buy and sell basses all the time, usually for a loss. However, I have owned my main, a Lakland 55-94, for 16 years! Many very cool basses have slipped through my fingers for one reason or another. Usually some problem, I've concocted in my own mind. I still flip basses, but not as often as I used to. Thankfully, I held onto this Lakland! But, like I tell my wife, "many basses, one woman." This buys me a little grace. :D

6. Lightbulb! :hyper:

7. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Don't sweat the small stuff -- count your blessings instead. You've got a great singer fronting your band -- one can own literally scores of great basses, but how many aspirants on this site would trade their eye teeth for a great singer to front their band? You've got that -- and she's your wife to boot. Some lovely tracks you have there on Reverb Nation! Count yourself lucky.

8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Maybe you have latent guitar tendancies.

9. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    I have played guitar as long as I've played bass, about 15 years now. Never played guitar in any bands though.

10. Fellow main-ah on TB! What band do you play with? I had the same problem of always selling basses.

11. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    I'm in The Reverie Machine. How about you?

Oh and Jah Wobble, thank you very much for those words.

12. You guys are VERY cool. Your wife sounds amazing! I dig what I'm hearing right now(I'm on your web page)

I play with The Mutineers, The Chad Porter Trio, and The Easy Money Party Band. The Mutineers are playing Local Sprouts on 3/27, if your out and about.

I think your Hofner is perfect for this band. Maybe a hollow body Gibson would be the only other thing I could think of that would be as good. Keep the Hofner!

13. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Yeah, doesn't Meghan Yates sing wonderfully? she brought Sandy Denny to mind, which is of course a high compliment. And for what it's worth, OP, your bass is cutting through just fine on "Little Things," which is more than I can say about the low end with a lot of MP3s I play through my Mac -- which of course has much better speakers than an android, which is what most of my younger friends listen to their music on. Which bass did you track those songs with, btw?

14. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    Most of those songs on our album, and the track "Little Things" were recorded with a Hofner and an Ampeg B-15 (not mine). A couple were done with a borrowed 4003. You can listen to the whole album here if you're interested http://thereveriemachine.bandcamp.com/

Mutineers, I'm digging the stuff on your reverbnation page. I may be right around there wednesday, I'll come say hi if I am!

15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I just took a listen I like it she reminds me of Grace Slick one of my favorites.

16. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Thanks a lot for the album link!

I too have tracked a whole album on a borrowed bass -- an off-brand . We got a great review in Rolling Stone, and I couldn't tell you what I was playing except that it had jazz style pickups. Point being, to steer this post back on-topic, that gear can be overrated. But having a variety of tools to choose from when tracking a record is never a bad thing. So try to hold on to all your basses, if possible, while moving forward.

Look forward to spinning the album!