I've never played a 'good' bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bushfire, Oct 20, 2005.

1. It sucks!
    The best bass I've played is a dead tie between my second hand samick p copy (200 NZD second hand) and a bc rich warlock (500 NZD new)

I don't think my bass is that bad though, I've had some people from some good bands play it and they held a fine groove, except for fretbuzz, I'll have to get a set up sometime!

So yeah, someday I'll play something decent!
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't let that stop you from playing. It doesn't matter what your bass is. It matters what you do with it. You can suck on a good bass as well as a cheap bass, and you can rock on a cheap bass as well as a good bass. If you have a musical instrument, you should be able to pull some music out of it, no matter it's quality.
  3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    'Good' basses are in the hands of players. I have a Hondo Bass I bought new in 1981 for $200 that plays as good as my Modulus Cutom Genesis. Amount of money spent on a bass does not make it good. My Hondo is good for me, because I love the way it feels sits and sounds! On the same note, my Modulus is awesome because of the same reasons! Play what you like. Do not let Brand Names and prices get in the way of playing a good bass. Some of the most expensive basses out there, play like crap (to me).
  4. Yeah, I know all that, but I just want to know how it compares.
  5. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Comparison is the key! Try everything you can. That is not only the best way to do that, but the funnest too :hyper: :D
  6. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Don't go and try any more unless you have the money to buy a new one available... you'll get GAS and never free yourself from it.

I did that... tried out a £3k bass when I had my £90 Westfield P-Bass and just had to get a better one! Ended up with a £700 Fender Jazz, a £1.5k Trace elliot amp and a £300 effects unit 4 months later...
  7. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Trying out various basses is the only way to know what you like as far as tone, feel, and construction. You'll find out about what you like to play on/with and what works and what doesn't. Everything from string width, neck profile, pickup placement/type, and brand preferences will come out of it. You'll also have a bigger tonal palette and know what tone you'll need for this or that song.

Good Luck.

8. Well, they'll have a tough time beating my samick. A quick loosining of the truss rod took care of the fret buzz, and now it works a treat. For such a cheap bass, it plays really well compared to some more expensive ($600-$800)(new) basses, which I found to be poorly constructed (horrible fretboard) and just plain hard to play!
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you like the bass, then it's a good one! That's all that matters.

I've played $2000 basses that don't play as good as my $400 Ibanez Soundgear.
  10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. I never go and play a bass unless I'm willing and able to buy it in a reasonable amount of time. Otherwise, I just get severe GAS pains.

I went to play a few cheap ABGs, then decided to play a Tacoma just to see "how they stacked up to it." I then spent a miserable couple of months GAS-ing hard for a Tacoma -- I couldn't get it out of my head. I'm glad I have it now, but there was some great consternation around the house for a while.