Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ive never really known how loud i can turn up the volume knob

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kyo, Jul 12, 2004.

1. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    my head is 4 ohms, 200w and the cab is 8 ohms, 200w so i know the cab can handle my head just fine. but i mean, what happens to the cab if i max out the volume? does it risk "popping" or whatever? will it degrade the sound quality after a long period of time, and if so, how long?

i'm not really planning on turning it all the way up ( i dont think) but i want to know how far i can push it before i'm in trouble

2. cab distortion is weird, when i do it its like the speakers just give up and fart out. youll notice it right away but youll probly never be able to do it without more power than that.

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    My understanding is that when an amp gets turned up too far the signal it sends is no longer clean. This can cause to speaker cone to move in funny directions (instead of just back and forth) and cause the speaker to blow. This can happen to the most rugged of cabs. It is safer to use an amp more powerful than the speaker can handle than overdriving a weak amp. The rule of thumb I've heard is that if you have to turn the amp up to more than 40%, it is not powerful enough.
    Also, by running an 8ohm speaker with a 4ohm amp you are effectively halving the power.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    How far you have to turn the knob doesn't really tell you anything. If you have a weak signal coming into the amp, you will need to turn it up more to achieve the same power output as a stronger input signal with the knob turned down.

You can easily hear distortion and if you get there, then back off. Some amps will even light up an LED for you if you exceed the amps maximum output.

5. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i know. i'm getting a 8ohm 2x10 or 4x10 when i can afford it. but for now i want to know how far i can push it during practice, and if its giggable yet.

6. as usual just another dumb off-topic question, but on this XM200 combo i'm looking at I've seen a "volume" control and a "master volume" control. now, if i crank up the "volume," which will serve as the amount of input into the amp, and then turn up the "master volume," which will serve as the output from the amp, to where i want it (probably a high volume like 5 or 6), will it clip because the input volume is so high or will it be because i did that and then cranked to 5?
    sorry to interrupt guys, I'm new to this gear thing. after dealing with a "ghetto rig" for so long, i'm planning on upgrading and need some questions answered.
    :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'm not familiar with your amp, but I suspect that the "volume" control is at the early stages of the amp and the "master volume" is just prior to the power amp. You can get distortion at any stage of the amp. So, the only way to isolate the problem is to turn down the later stages and then adjust the earlier stage first.

In other words, turn up the "volume" and turn down the "master volume". Do this until you find the point where "volume" causes distortion. Then turn down the "volume" until you are no longer getting distortion. Now you can turn up the "master volume." If you get distortion turning up the "master volume" then you have pushed either your speakers or your power amp too hard.